Author Topic: Roberts/Robertson and the French connection  (Read 594 times)

Offline baz201

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Roberts/Robertson and the French connection
« Reply #18 on: Friday 07 January 22 08:42 GMT (UK) »
Reply #14. Weaving was one of the commonest occupations in Lancashire. It was still mainly a cottage industry when that Mary Helm was baptised in Ribchester in 1814. Rows of weavers' cottages had been built at the turn of the century in a village in the parish + more cottages with attached workshops for nailers who made special nails for the weaving looms. One set of my ancestors moved to the village to build houses, another set arrived to make nails.
Factories gradually took over textile production and were a major employer of women in Lancashire.

Thankyou very much for that information. I would not be surprised if Mary came from a weaver family background. Now it just has to be worked out exactly who is the correct Hary Helm.

1851 French census has her aged 36 (b 1815) - nationality: "English" - maiden name "Helm"
1861 English census has her aged 44 (b 1817) - origin: "France" (kindly discovered by Rosie)
1871 English census has her aged 52 (b 1819) - born: "Preston"

best regards
Barry

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 07 January 22 08:46 GMT (UK) »
You really need her marriage certificate in the hope it has some information on members of her Helm family, otherwise we are just clutching at straws.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline baz201

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 07 January 22 23:45 GMT (UK) »
You really need her marriage certificate in the hope it has some information on members of her Helm family, otherwise we are just clutching at straws.

The marriage cert is coming snail mail, so it will  be a  few weeks

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 08 January 22 08:33 GMT (UK) »
I thought that the marriage cert you are waiting for is the Henry Adams / Anne Roberts one,  I am referring to the Mary Helm marriage

Offline baz201

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 08 January 22 11:42 GMT (UK) »
I thought that the marriage cert you are waiting for is the Henry Adams / Anne Roberts one,  I am referring to the Mary Helm marriage

Oh yes, I have not even been able to pin that one down as yet. I don't know if they married in  Manchester, elsewhere in Lancs or in Lyon

I see that there are other Helm-Helms-Helme/Robert couples in Lyon so, I think there is a correlation. They are on familysearch.org
 There appears to be a Doruthe Helme who is married to a Jean Robert in the 1861 census, living near Marie & Jean

Offline baz201

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 09 January 22 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Alexander Robert was mentioned as one of the godparents of Adolphus, the image is on FindMyPast.

There is a Thomas Alexander Adams living at 77, John-street, Fitzroy-St Leonard, Shoreditch in the 1858 electoral roll. He is not there the previous year. Obvioulsy women didn't have the vote, so I don't know where godmother Carlotta B***t was living at the time as yet.

The godmother could be Charlotte Becket,  in the 1861 census
b 1819   Yorkshire, England   Head   living at 3 Portland Place, Clerkenwell, Finsbury, Middlesex. There is a Charlotte Adams listed in the household as a visitor for that night, born in Bristol however.

I attach the godmother's handwritten entry in the 1857 birth entry for Adolphus Adams. I assume Carlotta is Latin for Charlotte.

There is no Alexander Adams listed in that 1861 census entry though.

Offline manukarik

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 09 January 22 12:21 GMT (UK) »
French Birth Certificate for Jean-Marie ROBERTS born 28 April 1848. Mother =  Marie Dorothée HELM, father = Jean ROBERTS (porcelain maker),

http://www.fondsenligne.archives-lyon.fr/v2/ark:/18811/a75a6e72a0f76b8b34edfdf67af6e019
Clarkson, Tolladay, Prevost, Killick, Hicks

Offline manukarik

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 09 January 22 12:43 GMT (UK) »
If the above parents are correct, they had another child, Marie born on 3 February 1847 and baptised on 4 February.

http://www.fondsenligne.archives-lyon.fr/v2/ark:/18811/699b58dfbefa02618db4fbe71696e507
Clarkson, Tolladay, Prevost, Killick, Hicks

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 09 January 22 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Alexander Robert was mentioned as one of the godparents of Adolphus, the image is on FindMyPast.

There is a Thomas Alexander Adams living at 77, John-street, Fitzroy-St Leonard, Shoreditch in the 1858 electoral roll. He is not there the previous year. Obvioulsy women didn't have the vote, so I don't know where godmother Carlotta B***t was living at the time as yet.

There is no Alexander Adams listed in that 1861 census entry though.

You need Alexander Robert not Alexander Adams  :-\