Author Topic: "Exors Of W T Brown"  (Read 289 times)

Offline charleighcollin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hi!!
    • View Profile
"Exors Of W T Brown"
« on: Thursday 06 January 22 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Happy 2022 everyone!

Hoping someone can help.

I've eagerly opened the 1921 census this morning and found something of a curveball. I found something I was expecting, Tom H Collin b. 1874, Labourer... but his employer is not what I expected. It's showing as "Exors of W T Brown"... what could this possibly mean? Is Exors short for executor? Like the executor of the will?

There are 4 others who are listed as "Exors of W T Brown":

Peter Atkinson b. 1872
Arthur Wilkinson b. 1874
Harry Eggleston b. 1858
John Slater b. 1898

Might someone have found something similar on their tree? Please could you help with what this could mean, and if not an executor of a will, where it might have been?

Thank you!
Currently researching:

Collin, Kerry, Kelsall, Rushton, Turner, Schofield, Bell, Wright, Drury and Rowston in the UK.

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "Exors Of W T Brown"
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 January 22 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Yes, this is indeed Executors. So Brown employs these people; Brown dies; his executors run his business until it's passed on to the heirs under Brown's Will. Possibly it's being run by the executors until his childrfen come of age. Might be worth looking for the Will in the probate calendar online - it's a bit unfortunate that Brown has a common surname, but having the two initials might make him searchable.
Possibly Walter Thompson Brown of Haddington, Lincs, died 10 Aug 1919; two executors who were farmers?
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline charleighcollin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hi!!
    • View Profile
Re: "Exors Of W T Brown"
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 January 22 10:15 GMT (UK) »
Yes, this is indeed Executors. So Brown employs these people; Brown dies; his executors run his business until it's passed on to the heirs under Brown's Will. Possibly it's being run by the executors until his childrfen come of age. Might be worth looking for the Will in the probate calendar online - it's a bit unfortunate that Brown has a common surname, but having the two initials might make him searchable.

Aaah thank you very much, I'll do just that now. Thank you :D
Currently researching:

Collin, Kerry, Kelsall, Rushton, Turner, Schofield, Bell, Wright, Drury and Rowston in the UK.