Author Topic: 1921 Census Missing People  (Read 3455 times)

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1921 Census Missing People
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 08 January 22 10:41 GMT (UK) »
I have been searching FindMyPast 1921 Census for my Uncle, David William Blair, Born November 1920, West Ham Essex (Greater London) but unable to find?

While we cannot provide a lookup, we maybe able to help locate if you provide sibling and parental names and ages
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 08 January 22 11:13 GMT (UK) »
I have been searching FindMyPast 1921 Census for my Uncle, David William Blair, Born November 1920, West Ham Essex (Greater London) but unable to find?

Have you located his parents  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 08 January 22 11:58 GMT (UK) »
I did hear about the confidential census return just before the census was released in 2022, could this explain some missing people, they apparently gave their census return to the enumerator in an envelope.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Jon_ni

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 08 January 22 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Was the same again this time, transcribed in India

Indeed was done by their 'longtime transcription partner' SBL in India per one of their videos who have 'transcribed 247 Findmypast projects since 2015'. Also done in a few columns to ensure confidentiality the info pre release before the 100 yrs (one person got left part with names & transcribed, another the right). https://fb.watch/amCFCCqx_l/ about 25-26 mins in. Likely explains some of the errors, especially for locations but guess would cost even more if they had done in UK.

When Ancestry eventually get the images from National Archives they will presumably be able to transcribe whole pages but will still I'm sure be done in India for cost reasons. Don't think the quality of the 1939 register transcriptions on Ancestry are any better, worse if anything, and if the street is not on the page (dittoed or blacked out) they leave blank and don't look back to previous or next one.

Offline Jon_ni

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 08 January 22 12:06 GMT (UK) »
I did hear about the confidential census return just before the census was released in 2022, could this explain some missing people, they apparently gave their census return to the enumerator in an envelope

Think that was just to restrict from the eyes of other household / appartment members. They submitted their own return rather than providing the info to the Head of House. The Enumerator still got to see, mentioned on front page of returns with address and instructions and in Enumerator's, he had to take details from then then transcribe in red ink in the blank spaces on the household return.

http://www2.histpop.org/ohpr/servlet/PageBrowser?path=Browse/TNA%20Census%20-%20Other%20(by%20date)/1921&active=yes&mno=3210&tocstate=expandnew&display=sections&display=tables&display=pagetitles&pageseq=49

Offline normamac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 08 January 22 12:12 GMT (UK) »

There is a David with a Ada Mary Ann Blair born 1890 canning town essex. Is this his mother?

Norma.

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 09 January 22 17:58 GMT (UK) »
I couldn't find my grandparents although I knew exactly where they should be. I found them in the end by a first name, year of birth, area  and then a wildcard for the surname. It had been transcribed incorrectly.

After trying various possible mis-transcriptions I located my father's family in Cheltenham where I expected to find them.  They had been filed as Farr (not surprisingly).  Having done that, I spent £3.50 to see the details (nothing new actually) but I intended to report the transcription error, as it also gave his birthplace as Middlesex instead of Midleton, Co.Cork (Ireland).

The Help told me to click the 'Report an Error' button, which I couldn't find, unless it is attached to the View Transcription, in which case I am asked to spend another £2.50.  Is that right?  If so, I strongly object !!
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 09 January 22 19:55 GMT (UK) »
I couldn't find my grandparents although I knew exactly where they should be. I found them in the end by a first name, year of birth, area  and then a wildcard for the surname. It had been transcribed incorrectly.

After trying various possible mis-transcriptions I located my father's family in Cheltenham where I expected to find them.  They had been filed as Farr (not surprisingly).  Having done that, I spent £3.50 to see the details (nothing new actually) but I intended to report the transcription error, as it also gave his birthplace as Middlesex instead of Midleton, Co.Cork (Ireland).

The Help told me to click the 'Report an Error' button, which I couldn't find, unless it is attached to the View Transcription, in which case I am asked to spend another £2.50.  Is that right?  If so, I strongly object !!

They want us to help them but we are charged to do so it is odd and one of the reasons why I'm only buying original images. If anyone can see a way to submit a correction while only on the image let us know. I looked but couldn't find a way.

C

Offline JayG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 09 January 22 20:26 GMT (UK) »
This tells you how to report transcription errors without having purchased the transcript.

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/help/articles/4415870561041-how-was-the-1921-census-transcribed-