Author Topic: 1921 census Marlborough Barracks  (Read 225 times)

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
1921 census Marlborough Barracks
« on: Friday 07 January 22 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Found my grandad in Ireland, which was a surprise. He was in the Marlborough Barracks "Dublia" would this be Dublin? He was in the 15th Hussars ( this I did know) His birth place is incorrect - Canton Glamorganshire, Wales. But his Transcribed birthplace was Canton, Nottinghamshire. (Caunton)
I have Googled Marlborough Barracks and it seems they were re named the McKee barracks. The fact that over 900 horses were kept there makes sense as my grandads diary is full of the horses in his care. Any more information on this, and why grandad would be there, would be very welcome.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1921 census Marlborough Barracks
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 January 22 19:36 GMT (UK) »
The 15th Hussars transferred from Kilkenny to Dublin in February 1920, and left in March 1922 when British forces were evacuated from the newly constituted Irish Free State.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hillhurst

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 January 22 19:39 GMT (UK) »
According to 1921 newspapers reports, the 15th Hussars (in Dublin) played a lot of polo. Could your chap have looked after some of the polo ponies (in addition to his normal duties)?

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 January 22 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the replies, much appreciated. I had no idea he was even in Ireland, let alone looking after polo ponies ( nice thought though) I know he was in Egypt in 1928 as we have his diary for that year. I have looked for his army records on the National Archives but couldn't find anything.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 January 22 10:41 GMT (UK) »
If he was serving in the army in the 1920's his service records will still be with the MoD. You can apply for a copy:

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 'Where Ben Bulben sets the scene'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 January 22 18:07 GMT (UK) »

Marlborough Barracks (Cavalry), Dublin
GeoHive National Townland and Historical Map Viewer
Historic 25" map - Basemap Gallery

https://arcg.is/0DC9j40

Researching: Cuthbertson Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter Co. Derry; Jackson Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott Co. Derry; Neilly Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy Co. Antrim; Nixon Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble Co. Sligo

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 January 22 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that Shaun, will get on it, seems it can take several months!

Thank you for the map Kiltaglassan, it was a huge area and interesting to see the polo club is still next door! They also didn't change the name of Marlborough Road as it is still in evidence.