Author Topic: Thomas Nevin’s Ancestors  (Read 4858 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Nevin’s Ancestors
« Reply #72 on: Saturday 15 January 22 08:10 GMT (UK) »
I found a James Shreane death record dated June 18, 1864 at Castlerea, County Roscommon, Ireland Adragool, Castlerea Roscommon. Estimated birth date 1803. Brother Thomas Shreane on record.

I just remembered a Tony Shryane who was a BBC scriptwriter. I was trying to recall someone with a similar surname to Shreane whom my parents knew when I was a child, who was probably from Mayo or Roscommon, but I think I got mixed up.  :-\
Cowban

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Saturday 15 January 22 08:46 GMT (UK) »
Brothers John* & William Shruane (the only 2 boys in the family found so far), as well as John's son James were all shoemakers in Roscommon itself. Possibly their father James Shruane was also a shoemaker in Roscommon but too early to say yet. In an case, no sign of a farming background yet either.
Griffith's Valuation has a John Shrohan in Lanesboro St. which may be the above John Shruane*.

Shryane is yet another variation I've come across in these searches.

I feel Adragool is a bit far from Roscommon but always wise to keep it on the 'just in case' pile.

I really do not understand the townlands and how they are related but thought the name connections were interesting.
Outside of cities and towns the countryside the smallest administrative unit was the townland which also served as an 'address.' A group of townlands make up a civil parish but the Catholic Church had it's own system of churches & parishes (usually different boundaries & often different names than the civil ones).
When civil registration was introduced in Ireland it basically followed the boundaries of the earlier Poor Law Unions. When searching Irish Genealogy you'll notice we are usually putting 'Roscommon' into the location box as Roscommon town as well as Corbo, etc. are in that district. Each district, however, has subdistricts. For example, under Roscommon are Athleague, Ballyleague, Roscommon.
This is the site I use to find registration districts & which ones are near each other-
https://www.swilson.info/regdistmap.php
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Saturday 15 January 22 08:55 GMT (UK) »
Another brother for John & William, also a shoemaker- James (c1821-1877), unmarried-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1877/020546/7210065.pdf

Which makes the James in Adragool too young to be the father of James, John, William, etc.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Saturday 15 January 22 09:32 GMT (UK) »

I really do not understand the townlands and how they are related but thought the name connections were interesting.

Here's a good website to understand the townland being the most fundamental of all Irish land divisions - Irish Genealogy Toolkit.

https://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com/Irish-land-divisions.html

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Formernewyorker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Saturday 15 January 22 20:32 GMT (UK) »
I did find James Shreane or Shreane on the Irish Poverty Relief Funds 1810 - 1887 Living Ballymore in Lissonuffy County Roscommon for 1838, 1839, 1840, 1841, 1842, 1843, 1844, 1845 and 1846.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Saturday 15 January 22 20:57 GMT (UK) »
I did find James Shreane or Shreane on the Irish Poverty Relief Funds 1810 - 1887 Living Ballymore in Lissonuffy County Roscommon for 1838, 1839, 1840, 1841, 1842, 1843, 1844, 1845 and 1846.

https://www.townlands.ie/roscommon/roscommon/lissonuffy/killavackan/ballymore/

Bit far from Roscommon but you can see what church registers are online to search for the children we know about so far-
https://registers.nli.ie/
Not sure which R.C. parish it comes under- perhaps Kilbride or Clontuskert?

Kilbride baptisms start 1835, however, I did come across other Shruhan family there in previous searches. https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0559
Clontuskert has nothing pre-registration. https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0540

Offline Formernewyorker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Sunday 16 January 22 01:10 GMT (UK) »
I did search the Tithe Appointment Book and there are only two John Nevin in Lissonuffy Parish in 1825.

There were a group of people in Ballyscully 49 in Galway Tynagh Parish in 1826. Not sure if anything is relevant.

Pat Malloy
This Larkin
Peter Madden
John Flynn
John Madden
Hugh Madden
Thaddy Nevin
Thos Nevin

There were in Corbo in 1826 & 1824
Killbride Parish

Gilleran (my grandmother ancestors)
Madden
Flynn
Murphy (my Aunt Mary married a Murphy)

There was a Wm Shruhan or Shreehan in Castlemeadow St. in Roscommon in 1824

Lots of McDonnell in Roscommon

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Sunday 16 January 22 05:34 GMT (UK) »
I did search the Tithe Appointment Book and there are only two John Nevin in Lissonuffy Parish in 1825.

There were a group of people in Ballyscully 49 in Galway Tynagh Parish in 1826. Not sure if anything is relevant.

The Tithe Applotment books contain only a fraction of people, only those who held enough of the right sort of land which made them liable to pay tithes. None of my ancestors are in it. There are very few names in my ancestors' townlands in Tithe Applotment books compared to the number in Griffiths' Valuation.
A few reasons for the lack of people in Tithe Applotment books:
 Tithes were levied on agricultural land; if your ancestor was a landless farm labourer or a servant or worked in a shop in town, they didn't pay tithes.
Land holdings had been subdivided so often among sons and then among their sons, that some land portions were too small to be considered.
Some sub-tenants paid their rent (or did work in lieu of rent) to another tenant. That tenant might be responsible for collecting rent from several sub-tenants and it was his name which was recorded in the tithe books, not the sub-tenants. 

Re. list of people in Tynagh, County Galway. I doubt they are relevant unless you have other evidence that your ancestors were there. They are almost all common surnames + v. common forenames e.g. Malloy or Mally is one of the commonest names in Mayo. Tynagh is near Loughrea in Co. Galway, if it's the village I think it is.

https://registers.nli.ie/
Not sure which R.C. parish it comes under- perhaps Kilbride or Clontuskert?

I use Shane Wilson's website to match church parishes to places. His registration district finder is useful too. Website has an introduction to Irish FH and a guide to sources. Link in aghadowey's reply #73.
I also use the little map in the corner of a parish page on NLI Catholic Registers website, checking which are adjacent parishes to the one I'm interested in.
Cowban

Offline Formernewyorker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Monday 31 January 22 17:18 GMT (UK) »
I want to thank you again for all the valuable information on  my great grandmother Ellen and her family. Since I have found burial information on ancestors that immigrated to the US, it got me thinking. Since there is documented proof through a Roscommon Messanger that Ellen Nevin, my great grandmother is buried at Derrane Cemetary, wouldn’t it be likely that my great grandfather Thomas is buried there too. As I wrote about too that my father Michael put on tombstone in 1982 in Derrane Cemetary to honor his family, and since my great grandmother Ellen, my grandparents Ellen Gilleran Nevin, her daughter Catherine and her husband Thomas Nevin all died at Corbo, my grandparents may be buried at Derrane too. I thought if I could get burial records of all of them, it might clear up the mystery of my grandfather’s birth date and a record of a death of my great grandfather Thomas. This might also help to determine the birth dates of my great grandparents as well. I have Ellen Gilleran (my grandmother birth records).  I know that Derrane is part of the Elphin diocese so do I write a letter there? Are burial records even kept that long ago.