Author Topic: Battle of Trafalgar 21 October 1805  (Read 126 times)

Offline Whipby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Wish I was still this cute!
    • View Profile
Battle of Trafalgar 21 October 1805
« on: Saturday 08 January 22 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Morning all.

Searching for information on my ancestor, James Woodcock, a master mariner, Iíve found an interesting record on Ancestry.

It shows a list of names of people who had applied for medals as being participants in the Battle of Trafalgar, on the ship Dreadnought.  There is a James Woodcock listed, who is shown to be a ĎPte Marinerí (Private Mariner? My James was in the Merchant Navy - is that what this means?)

My main query is regarding the title of the document, which reads:

ĎAn alphabetical statement of the names of such Commissioned Officers, Warrant Officers, Petty Officers, Seamen and Marines; also of Officers, Non Commissioned Officers, and Privates of the Army, who, under the Queenís gracious permission, have applied for medals in commemoration of their presence in certain naval actions during the war, commencing in 1793, and ending in 1815, specified in the Gazette of 1st and 4th of June 1847. submitted by the Board of Flag Officers.í

Am I reading this correctly to mean that 1847 was the year that the men actually applied for the medals? 

If so, I can discount this as being my James Woodcock, as he died in 1843.

Iíve attempted to cut and paste the link to the record for those who have access to Ancestry, but not sure if itís worked properly.

Many thanks.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/1687/images/31793_221277-00139?treeid=&personid=&hintid=&queryId=d9b9bd6bb147a69699e22aa164757ea8&usePUB=true&_phsrc=UIT53&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&_ga=2.46901860.2101999599.1641631789-635961083.1641162316&pId=2140604

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Reddie, Gott, Woodcock, Randerson, Heslop, Dove, Sowerby, Henderson, Singleton, Butler, Kelly, Parkes, Pinkney, Sellers, Speck, Todd,  Wilkie and others.

Online Falkyrn

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Battle of Trafalgar 21 October 1805
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 January 22 09:49 GMT (UK) »
It may have been the Naval General Service Medal which was instituted in 1847 and which had various clasps for a number of naval battles including Trafalgar.(applicants had until 1851 to apply)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_General_Service_Medal_(1847)

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 January 22 10:15 GMT (UK) »
Having looked at the record I think it says Private Marine , not mariner.
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Whipby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Wish I was still this cute!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 January 22 12:15 GMT (UK) »
It may have been the Naval General Service Medal which was instituted in 1847 and which had various clasps for a number of naval battles including Trafalgar.(applicants had until 1851 to apply)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_General_Service_Medal_(1847)

Thank you for that link, Falkyrn - very interesting,  it has also answered another question I had, as to whether the families of a deceased participant could apply for the medal to be awarded posthumously.

Having looked at the record I think it says Private Marine , not mariner.

I think youíre right, Christine53. Looking at other pages, there are lots of instances of the word Marine, and itís also in the printed title, so I now think this what this word says too.

I think, therefore, that, sadly, I can discount this entry as relating to my own James Woodcock.

Thank you both for your help!

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Reddie, Gott, Woodcock, Randerson, Heslop, Dove, Sowerby, Henderson, Singleton, Butler, Kelly, Parkes, Pinkney, Sellers, Speck, Todd,  Wilkie and others.