Author Topic: Alder Root Farm  (Read 271 times)

Offline Kerrill

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alder Root Farm
« on: Saturday 08 January 22 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
             have just been spending my money on the 1921 census and was delighted to have found my granddad living in Winwick Lancashire at a place called Alder Root Farm, my problem is after googleing
  the place which was very good as I even got a picture of it, I can't seem to find it on any other census or records it's as if it had just been built but looking at the photo it seems to have been there at least 200 yrs.  Is there any other way of finding who lived at the address before or after the 1921 census ?
                                                     Thanks
Mitchell Ireland Gavin ireland  Morrison Ireland Keogh Ireland

Online Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alder Root Farm
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 January 22 15:35 GMT (UK) »
You could search by address. There's an Alder Root Lane and a Lowers Alder Root Lane. Also Lower Alder Root Farm on Hollins Rd. now. 
I had trouble finding one of my family's farms on earlier censuses because it was under the name of the road on the address. The road is now a moorland track and had 2 name variants on old maps. I located the census entries by finding other properties on a main road in the same census enumerator's district and browsing pages.   
Cowban

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 January 22 15:48 GMT (UK) »
It seems that the farm was occupied by various Wrights in the 19th century. See news clippings below. I also see later references to a Nether or Lower Alder Root Farm linked to the name Peter Longton.

Manchester Times Saturday 14th March 1840
On the 26th ult., at Winwick Church, by the Rev. T. J. Whittington, Mr. J. T. Wright, Alder root Farm, to Miss Anne Owen, only daughter of Mrs. Catherine Owen, Croft.

Liverpool Mercury 17th June 1853
[Deaths]
June 11, at Alder-root Farm, Winwick, aged 28. Mr. John Wright, and brother to Mr. James Wright, of this town.

St. Helens Examiner 3 April 1886
SERIOUS ACCIDENT AT EARLESTOWN STATION.— On Wednesday afternoon a serious accident occurred at Earlestown Station which should act as a warning to those who are in the habit of leaving trains while in motion. A young man named William Wright, a farmer at Alder Root Farm, near Vulcan, was a passenger by a train leaving Warrington for Newton Bridge and Manchester at 4-40, but which does not stop at Earlestown Station. The train is an express from Chester and Warrington, but while passing Earlestown the speed was slackened to about 10 or 12 miles an hour. Whilst the train was running round the "curve" at Earlestown, Wright attempted to alight by jumping upon the platform. The velocity of the train, however, threw him violently forward on his face, and he sustained serious injuries. his body was bruised, while his face was one mass of cuts and lacerations. He was rendered unconscious, and under the directions of Mr. Young, stationmaster, the wounds were attended to. The injured man was afterwards conveyed to Vulcan on one of the railway engines, and was removed to his home, where he was attended by Dr. 3. W. Watkins, of Newton.

Offline Kerrill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 January 22 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much, you never cease to surprise me, I would never have thought to look at old newspapers. 

Online Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 January 22 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Newspapers are sometimes a useful source for farm history. Farm sales or leases. Cattle shows, ploughing competitions, livestock sales. 
Cowban

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 January 22 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Addresses and postcodes UK gives the address as:

Alder Root Farm
Alder Root Lane
Winwick
WARRINGTON
WA2 8RZ

Which looks like it might be this one (I have seen mentions of it being by Winwick Junction):

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=17.534579980158362&lat=53.43451&lon=-2.62197&layers=168&right=ESRIWorld

Presumably not to be confused with “Lower Alder Root Farm” down the road? (Scroll map to see it’s location).

Offline Kerrill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 08 January 22 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again that's great,  no luck with the other censuses maybe it came under a different name .

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 09 January 22 09:33 GMT (UK) »
If you search the 1881 census at Ancestry using William Wright and Winwick as the place, the top hit is him and the page shows two Alder Roots, one with the Wright family and one with the Longton family. The address for both is Hollens (Hollins?) Lane.

Searching the 1881 census with Alder Root in the keyword field (and nothing else) also finds these Winwick entries, but there are other hits at Chadderton and Oldham.

The head of the Wright household seems to be the Ann Owen referred to in the first clipping (the marriage).

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 09 January 22 10:15 GMT (UK) »
Peter Calvert was a very good enumerator and supplied fairly detailed information for this district.

In his description of the district he mentions “Elder Root Farms and Cottages”. There is no mention specifically of Lower Alder Root farm.

There are two farmers with large farms so presumably both Alder Root farms are enumerated one after another with some outbuildings in between. (as can be seen on the NLS map)