Author Topic: Question re 1887 will - Cardiff  (Read 202 times)

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Question re 1887 will - Cardiff
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 08 January 22 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Also interesting to me is that he said that his daughter’s inheritance was ‘independent of the debts and control of any husband and shall be for their sole and separate use and benefit’ - was that usual?

When was the Will written?
In 1882 The Married Women's Property Act was passed which meant that a married woman was able to hold money & property in her own right.
Prior to this, a married woman's money was considered to belong to her husband to do with as he pleased. This phrase would safeguard the money so her husband could not spend it .
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline louisem

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 08 January 22 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Yes, thank you, 1877, so that makes complete sense. And I was impressed with it!

Also interesting to me is that he said that his daughter’s inheritance was ‘independent of the debts and control of any husband and shall be for their sole and separate use and benefit’ - was that usual?

When was the Will written?
In 1882 The Married Women's Property Act was passed which meant that a married woman was able to hold money & property in her own right.
Prior to this, a married woman's money was considered to belong to her husband to do with as he pleased. This phrase would safeguard the money so her husband could not spend it .
Cardiff- Davies, Thomas,
Forest of Dean/Symonds Yat- Farr
Barnstaple - Symons
Bideford - Labbett
Newcastle Emlyn - Davies
Devonport - Budge, Goodman

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 08 January 22 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for looking for me. I guess  what I am trying to work out is whether the £4500 was more or less just the value of the house. If I thought about a house that size in that part of Cardiff now (it has been demolished so can’t compare exactly) it might cost near to £600,000.

In 1887 £4500 might have bought the whole of Longcross Street and some adjacent streets too.  It was behind the old Infirmary on Newport Road, and I grew up near that part of Cardiff 70 years ago.

As a decent detached house between the wars would have fetched about £500, the sum you mention would have been a very tidy one in 1887.  Cardiff then was a burgeoning port for coal exports, so I guess shipbuilding may have been a nice earner.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline louisem

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 08 January 22 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, I thought it seemed a lot of money. The house is long gone, the whole row was demolished for some additional buildings for the Infirmary. I was fortunate enough to find a photo of the next door house on one of the Cardiff Facebook pages. They were very nice houses, bigger than the ones remaining but not mansions!
The Thomas family are interesting. To me they reflect the story of Cardiff. He was born in Chepstow, father was a trunnel maker. William went first to Bideford, where he met his wife and then on to Cardiff I guess to make his fortune. He had a shipbuilding firm on the Bute East Dock. At one point the family also ran a pub in St Mary St, the Ship and Pilot Boat.
I imagine there is more documentary evidence about his business somewhere but the name is so common it’s not easy to research.
Unfortunately subsequent generations failed to hang on to the money! 😊

Thank you for looking for me. I guess  what I am trying to work out is whether the £4500 was more or less just the value of the house. If I thought about a house that size in that part of Cardiff now (it has been demolished so can’t compare exactly) it might cost near to £600,000.

In 1887 £4500 might have bought the whole of Longcross Street and some adjacent streets too.  It was behind the old Infirmary on Newport Road, and I grew up near that part of Cardiff 70 years ago.

As a decent detached house between the wars would have fetched about £500, the sum you mention would have been a very tidy one in 1887.  Cardiff then was a burgeoning port for coal exports, so I guess shipbuilding may have been a nice earner.
Cardiff- Davies, Thomas,
Forest of Dean/Symonds Yat- Farr
Barnstaple - Symons
Bideford - Labbett
Newcastle Emlyn - Davies
Devonport - Budge, Goodman

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk