Author Topic: Missing family on ionic ship 1897  (Read 12837 times)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Missing family on ionic ship 1897
« Reply #207 on: Sunday 23 January 22 04:44 GMT (UK) »
In my opinion, John Edmund Smith’s actions were just vindictive, and speak of a man wanting revenge. Had the divorce been particularly unpleasant? His revenge was to stop his wife having contact with her children. He removed two young boys from their mother, moved them to the other side of the world, changed their names numerous times and did all possible to ensure they could never be traced. It was just as cruel to the boys as it was to Edith Kate.
All the documents I have seen indicate John had a high profile and respectable job in South Africa, which he would not have had access to (through contacts & references) if there was anything “dodgy” about his reputation.
Did John’s vengeance pay off? He died alone in Sth Africa, and seems to have spent his last 35 years alone.
Owen had moved away from his father by 1907, and Lionel a few years later. Why did they choose not to remain in Sth Africa?
I suspect that Owen (and or his offspring) may have eventually made contact with his mother in USA.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: Sunday 23 January 22 05:02 GMT (UK) »

All the documents I have seen indicate John had a high profile and respectable job in South Africa, which he would not have had access to (through contacts & references) if there was anything “dodgy” about his reputation.

While I cannot argue with your thinking here, I think anything dodgy about him would necessarily be concealed by his frequent change of name and other lies.

Therefore he would only be able to present  references that dealt with the more recent times of his life, say from 1897 onwards. Anything earlier would expose his identity.

That is, of course if his references and interview material were truthful.
Possibly self-manufactured!

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: Sunday 23 January 22 06:25 GMT (UK) »
It's hard to know at this stage what the motivations of both parties were. Certainly the mother left very young babies at home while she pursued her career in the US. Perhaps the age old dilemma of a woman wanting a career  and a family but not being able to enjoy both? I agree though, leaving the country under an assumed name with her children does seem somewhat spiteful, so hard to say at this distance removed.

As we mentioned earlier, someone informed the mother that her son had died at Gallipoli, perhaps the brother? So she wasn't completely estranged from them. Strange that if they came looking for her they kept the name given to them by the father.

Altogether a very curious story.

Offline Arnside98

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: Sunday 23 January 22 07:02 GMT (UK) »
1930 census Philadelphia  for Owen Gordon FORREST – now using the name Gordon.
 There is another son called Charles! Yikes - where did he come from?
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XH42-D7V

1940 census Philadelphia  for Owen Gordon FORREST – still using the name Gordon. Date and place of birth have changed!   ;D
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KQJJ-786

Charles’ birth is a mystery. I doubt his mother was Spanish but there isn’t much on him unless I’m just not having any luck.

Agree with all the comments on John’s decision to leave. Shame we won’t find the answer/reason in the records - unless we get lucky somehow!

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: Sunday 23 January 22 07:16 GMT (UK) »
Re: John Edmund Smith (alias FORREST)

A John Edmund Forrest born 1858 travelling onboard a ship from Mozambique to London in Sept 1928.
Age 70. Occupation accountant and journalist. Last perm residence - South Africa. Proposed address in UK - Plympton, Devon.

A further note to this voyage.
He gave his future address as Carthew, Plympton Devon.

This link to 1911 Devon census show "Carthew", Plympton Devon as a private house.
I wonder why he went to Devon and who lived there in 1928.

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DEV/PlymptonStMary/PlymptonStMary1911.6

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jennaya

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: Sunday 23 January 22 07:23 GMT (UK) »
Have I missed something. I thought JE was an accountant. Is this the same person who is a solicitor when his son dies?

Offline Arnside98

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: Sunday 23 January 22 07:27 GMT (UK) »

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: Sunday 23 January 22 07:39 GMT (UK) »
I think. Carthew was occupied by Capt and Mrs L.N. Silverlock

There are advertisements and letters to the editor etc from them at that address from 1922 to 1943.

1923 electoral roll has him as Nicholls Leonard Silverlock.   Carthew, Hemerdon. Polling district, Plympton St Mary

same for 1928

1930 his wife has made it to the roll. She is Freda Mary

added - in 1902 he was a Freemason in South Africa, at Bloemfontein "Rising Star Lodge". Trooper S.A.C.

Offline Arnside98

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: Sunday 23 January 22 07:48 GMT (UK) »
Have I missed something. I thought JE was an accountant. Is this the same person who is a solicitor when his son dies?

I think he studied law in SA but was always an accountant or related job. Maybe this was a lie/error in the article or maybe I’ve missed something!