Author Topic: Missing family on ionic ship 1897  (Read 12882 times)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Missing family on ionic ship 1897
« Reply #270 on: Tuesday 25 January 22 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Both Owen and Ethelyn are listed in” The divorce of mismatched couples with common pleas”
Is it an American document / list? From where does it originate?
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Arnside98

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: Tuesday 25 January 22 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Both Owen and Ethelyn are listed in” The divorce of mismatched couples with common pleas”

Is it an American document / list? From where does it originate?

Sorry I had intended to attach the article but my images are too large. It’s from the Philadelphia inquirer 1917.

38 couples were granted separation . The mismatched couples with common pleas are: Owen Edmund Gordon Forrest from Ethelyn Marie Forrest.   

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: Tuesday 25 January 22 09:59 GMT (UK) »

1899!
That makes a difference.
Sue

An Edith Mahon landed in New York on 28th January 1889. This may not have been her. It’s hard to read some of the details but she is of the correct age and I think it says pianist under “calling”.
I had a look at that passenger list. She is about the right age. The only detail it gives for that Edith Mahon is “spinster” and from “Somersetshire”. I think it is probably NOT your Edith.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: Tuesday 25 January 22 10:05 GMT (UK) »

Sorry I had intended to attach the article but my images are too large. It’s from the Philadelphia inquirer 1917.

38 couples were granted separation . The mismatched couples with common pleas are: Owen Edmund Gordon Forrest from Ethelyn Marie Forrest.

Sorry, i know nothing about divorce in USA. It sounds as if they were both in Philadelphia.
I have been searching for Ethelyn for days now. I had assumed she went to USA with Owen, but my search has been extended global , and she still eludes me. !!

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: Tuesday 25 January 22 10:08 GMT (UK) »

1899!
That makes a difference.
Sue

An Edith Mahon landed in New York on 28th January 1889. This may not have been her. It’s hard to read some of the details but she is of the correct age and I think it says pianist under “calling”.
I had a look at that passenger list. She is about the right age. The only detail it gives for that Edith Mahon is “spinster” and from “Somersetshire”. I think it is probably NOT your Edith.

Yes, I agree. There is an Edith Marion MAHON baptised in Somerset on 1 Nov 1863 - possibly her.

Offline Arnside98

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: Tuesday 25 January 22 10:09 GMT (UK) »

Sorry, i know nothing about divorce in USA. It sounds as if they were both in Philadelphia.
I have been searching for Ethelyn for days now. I had assumed she went to USA with Owen, but my search has been extended global , and she still eludes me. !!

Great effort Neale !! I can’t find anything on her either or her parents.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: Tuesday 25 January 22 10:16 GMT (UK) »

Me too! I know there are a lot of porkies told in this story ... however Owen G FORREST does say widowed on the 1920 census rather than divorced, the box allows for "single, married, widowed or divorced". I do wonder where she is?

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: Tuesday 25 January 22 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Here’s my current thinking around "enigmatic" Ethelyn ...… she disappears in 1919.
On 9 Dec 1918 Owen Forrest fills in his WW1 draft card with his address – the same address as he is living when the 1920 census comes around.- 738 No. 20th St. Philadelphia
On the draft card, he names his son Robert Owen Forrest (who would only be 9 years old) as next of kin. But his son’s abode / address is different. It is 578 W Sedgewick st – Maryland? (not sure of the Maryland word)
So I think in December 1918 the son was living with his mother Ethelyn, but by early 1920 and census time, she had moved on, and the son came to live with Owen in Philadelphia.

Offline Arnside98

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: Tuesday 25 January 22 18:32 GMT (UK) »
That certainly sounds about right.
I know this doesn’t help piece things together but I’ve found an article on Owen claiming to be a captain in the Australian military forces. I’m pretty sure he wasn’t!!