Author Topic: Henry Austin Miller & parents  (Read 551 times)

Offline millofski

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry Austin Miller & parents
« on: Sunday 09 January 22 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I'm trying to find more info on my 4x Great-grandfather, Henry Austin Miller, & his parents (my 5x great-grandparents).  Henry Austin was born 1st May 1807 in South Carolina I believe, married a Nancy Sears in Monroe, Indiana on 5th August 1830 & died 11th September 1882 in Oregon.  All I know about his parents is that his father was apparently called John.  Is there I can find and order a birth or marriage certificate or find anything else that will give more info on Henry Austin's parents?

Thanks,

Oli

Offline millofski

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Austin Miller & parents
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 January 22 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Slight edit, think his State of birth might be Tennessee rather than South Carolina.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 January 22 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Slight edit, think his State of birth might be Tennessee rather than South Carolina.

That does agree with the find a grave entry.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/66312050/henry-austin-miller

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline millofski

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 January 22 18:20 GMT (UK) »

That does agree with the find a grave entry.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/66312050/henry-austin-miller

Sandra

Thanks Sandra.  Came across that after I posted as well.  Need to find more info on his parents.

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 January 22 18:26 GMT (UK) »
A tree on Ancestry lists his parents as Sgt John Arnold Miller (1786-1850) and Hannah Butler. (1774-1811). Father born Tennessee. Mother born Connecticut.

NOTE: This tree lists HAM's birthplace as Tennessee. Looks like 2 of 4 census reports say Tennessee. The other 2 reports state South Carolina.

Offline millofski

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 January 22 18:35 GMT (UK) »
A tree on Ancestry lists his parents as Sgt John Arnold Miller (1786-1850) and Hannah Butler. (1774-1811). Father born Tennessee. Mother born Connecticut.

NOTE: This tree lists HAM's birthplace as Tennessee.

Thanks Hillhurst.  The John Arnold Miller looks correct but it's the Hannah Butler that I'm not 100% sure about. A marriage record of hers does give a John Miller but from Elizabethtown, New Jersey rather than from Tennessee.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 January 22 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Hope I get this posted before any more new replies :)

Are there any Miller households in Monroe County, Indiana, in 1830 that contain a young man of the right age to be Henry Austin Miller?
Repeat for 1820, 1810, in Indiana and Tennessee.
Where did the families in Monroe County come from and when? People followed each other, If you can find where a few of them came from, hopefully in Tennessee, you might be able to work backward to Henry's birthplace.
As the family moved west, are there any other Miller families close by, like adjoining farms or following each other on the census? Could they be his father or siblings?
Why is his middle name Austin? Is that a hint to a family name? Are there Austins in Monroe Co? Or Sears?
Prove or disprove the connection in the tree just posted by Hillhurst.
I doubt you will find a civil record of the marriage or his birth. Too early to be required anywhere, outside of New England and maybe the Atlantic seaboard states.

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 January 22 19:00 GMT (UK) »
According to the 1880 census (Oregon) Henry doesn't know where his parents were born. Birthplace for both parents is "Unknown".  By the way, his 1883 Probate record is on Ancestry.

The Ancestry tree I saw doesn't attach any records for either parent (except a marriage record which may or may not be correct). So without sources, who's to say where the information came from.

Offline millofski

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 15 January 22 12:23 GMT (UK) »
Hope I get this posted before any more new replies :)

Are there any Miller households in Monroe County, Indiana, in 1830 that contain a young man of the right age to be Henry Austin Miller?
Repeat for 1820, 1810, in Indiana and Tennessee.
Where did the families in Monroe County come from and when? People followed each other, If you can find where a few of them came from, hopefully in Tennessee, you might be able to work backward to Henry's birthplace.
As the family moved west, are there any other Miller families close by, like adjoining farms or following each other on the census? Could they be his father or siblings?
Why is his middle name Austin? Is that a hint to a family name? Are there Austins in Monroe Co? Or Sears?
Prove or disprove the connection in the tree just posted by Hillhurst.
I doubt you will find a civil record of the marriage or his birth. Too early to be required anywhere, outside of New England and maybe the Atlantic seaboard states.

Thanks for this.  Living in the UK, are there any good website where one could look up this sort of information?