Author Topic: 1939 register birth years  (Read 1146 times)

Offline fiddlerslass

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1939 register birth years
« on: Monday 10 January 22 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I have noticed that quite a few people on my family tree stated they were a year younger when it came to the 1939 register. Usually the month and date remain correct. This is with having cross checked with the GRO or baptism details. Has anyone else come across such discrepancies?
Bulman, DUR
Butterfield DUR & N. YKS,
Earnshaw DUR
Hopps DUR & N. YKS
Howe, Richardson,Thompson all DUR

William Thompson violin maker Bishop Auckland
William Thompson jun. Violin maker Leeds

Richardson in Bermondsey/East Ham, descendants of William Richardson b. 1820 Bishop Auckland

Berger, Fritsch, Ritschel, Pechanz, Funke, Endesfelder & others from Czechia

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 register birth years
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 January 22 09:51 GMT (UK) »

Yes, my great aunt decreased her birth year by six years on the 1939 National Register for Northern Ireland. Her husband was seven years younger than her. Her husband filled in and signed the form.

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline fiddlerslass

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 January 22 10:11 GMT (UK) »
That is a large discrepancy. Did it cause any problems as the records were used by the NHS?
Bulman, DUR
Butterfield DUR & N. YKS,
Earnshaw DUR
Hopps DUR & N. YKS
Howe, Richardson,Thompson all DUR

William Thompson violin maker Bishop Auckland
William Thompson jun. Violin maker Leeds

Richardson in Bermondsey/East Ham, descendants of William Richardson b. 1820 Bishop Auckland

Berger, Fritsch, Ritschel, Pechanz, Funke, Endesfelder & others from Czechia

Offline farmeroman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 January 22 10:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I have noticed that quite a few people on my family tree stated they were a year younger when it came to the 1939 register. Usually the month and date remain correct. This is with having cross checked with the GRO or baptism details. Has anyone else come across such discrepancies?

Yes, I have seen the same with something like 5-10, maybe more. Always exactly one year out.

Offline phil57

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 January 22 11:20 GMT (UK) »
That is a large discrepancy. Did it cause any problems as the records were used by the NHS?

I have one that is 7 years out. It has been amended with the correct year in green ink, presumably by the NHS, National Registration or similar. I also have copies of several where the days and/or months of birth are inaccurate when compared with birth certificates. As with all such records, the individual's memory must play a part, as well as other reasons.
Stokes - London and Essex
Hodges - Somerset
Murden - Notts
Humphries/Humphreys from Montgomeryshire

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 January 22 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Yes I have had problems with both of my Great Grandparents. Mary Ann Smith on her birth certificate was born 6/5/1877 on the 1921 Census it states 7/12/1876 & the 1939 Register 1876 no months mentioned. My Great Grandfather Thomas Smith on the 1921 Census it states birth year 1875 but no months mentioned, the 1939 Register 16/6/1877 & on his death Cert it stated born 1877. I can't find anything on Thomas & have been looking for his family for over 15 years & had hoped at last when the 1921 Census came out I would at least know the year & month he was born, but no one showing on the GRO so just don't know were to go next with this.

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 January 22 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Because of data protection, the 1939 Register was transcribed in vertical columns, this has resulted in some columns being misaligned throwing some years out of line.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline phil57

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 January 22 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Because of data protection, the 1939 Register was transcribed in vertical columns, this has resulted in some columns being misaligned throwing some years out of line.

But discrepancies between the actual birth dates entered on the original register forms and visible on the digitised images, and other documents relating to the same individuals, have nothing to do with the method of subsequent transcription.
Stokes - London and Essex
Hodges - Somerset
Murden - Notts
Humphries/Humphreys from Montgomeryshire

Offline Jon_ni

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 January 22 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Yes, seen several times. If entering a known DOB and does not come up will then do ±1 or ±2 year window. 1939 Reg is a summary sheet of the householders returns, like the 1901 and previous census. The original form asked for birth day and month in one column and year in another. Whether it was intentional, they had problems with the maths, or did not know/care as they had never seen or needed to own their birth cert hard to know.
https://www.findmypast.co.uk/articles/world-records/full-list-of-united-kingdom-records/census-land-and-surveys/1939-register-original-forms