Author Topic: War of the Roses.  (Read 554 times)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
War of the Roses.
« on: Monday 10 January 22 17:25 GMT (UK) »
I am researching my friends family from Ruthin and there is a Maria Kenrick b 1772. There is a tree on  Ancestry which has Kenricks back to a John Kenrick who was killed in the War of the Roses.
They have his son dying in Somme Picardy in 1477.
How can these facts be known for certain.
I can understand the North Wales connection as it has been researched from documents and wills which are in Archives but where is this early information coming from. 🙂
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: War of the Roses.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 January 22 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Have you messaged the person with the info. in their tree to enquire what their source(s) were?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 January 22 20:36 GMT (UK) »
The further back research takes us, the spellings change.

When the spellings change it's often a good idea to look at the Domesday Book to see if the surname is mentioned.  I often surf to find the "meaning and origins of surname ..... " and the below url has this about your surname :-

"The surname Kenrick was first found in Denbighshire where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor of Nantclwyd Woore. The name appears as Kenricus and Kenric in the Domesday Book in 1086. "The family of Kenrick of Nantclwyd Woore, co Denbigh, claim from David Kenrick who fought under the Black Prince at Creci and Poictiers."

https://www.houseofnames.com/kenrick-family-crest
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 January 22 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Some Ancestry trees rely a lot on suppositions and jumping to conclusions
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 January 22 10:45 GMT (UK) »
Simple rule - don't believe anything that you can't verify for yourself.
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 January 22 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Simple rule - don't believe anything that you can't verify for yourself.

Agree, and I dont. 🙂
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 January 22 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Some Ancestry trees rely a lot on suppositions and jumping to conclusions

I put the actual address of a birth on one of the character in my tree and was so surprised to see an American am. researcher had put him in her tree amongst all her American baptisms.

Upon checking I saw that there was a similar address in her home country.  Since that time, I now put country of birth after any other bmd address details.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke