Author Topic: Marriage record occupation  (Read 172 times)

Offline Flouncylicious

• RootsChat Senior
  • Dora Kent Nee Waterfield
    • View Profile
Marriage record occupation
« on: Tuesday 11 January 22 12:13 GMT (UK) »
I have a marriage certificate from 1837 and the groom's occupation is listed as "humble state of life". I have never seen this before and wondered if anyone else has experienced this. I'm assuming it's a subtle way of saying unemployed, or am I wrong?

Kent Thompson Gazzard Cunnington Tunmer Sheldrake Miller Waterfield Furneaux Granshaw Priddie Ward Belson Towell Newton

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage record occupation
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 January 22 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Possibly an ag lab?

"Wordsworth says that in Lyrical Ballads, humble and rustic life has been chosen as the theme of poetry because the essential passions of the heart find a better soul in which they can attain their maturity in the humble state of life. Wordsworth comments that humble and rustic life holds simplicity, serenity and tranquility. The rustic people express their feelings and emotion through simple, unelaborated and unsophisticated way."

http://www.literary-articles.com/2010/02/wordsworths-defination-of-poet-and.html
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 January 22 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Well that is certainly different.  I haven't had this on any of the marriage certs that I have for that period of time.

Have you looked for them on the 1841 census to see what his occupation is on there?

It could well be a polite way of indicating that he was unemployed at the time of his marriage.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline Flouncylicious

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 January 22 12:45 GMT (UK) »
He's a Carman (driver) in 1841 and throughout his life. I'm tempted to have a search through marriages from the same church and curate to see if it comes up again.
Kent Thompson Gazzard Cunnington Tunmer Sheldrake Miller Waterfield Furneaux Granshaw Priddie Ward Belson Towell Newton

Offline Flouncylicious

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 January 22 15:33 GMT (UK) »
I managed to find marriage records for the same curate online. It appears to be his doing. Although my ancestor is the only one with "humble" that I have come across so far, there are several where the occupation is "middle station of life". I think what I saw as "state" is actually an abbreviation of station.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 January 22 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Out of interest what part of the country was this from?  It might have been a well used term in those parts.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Flouncylicious

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 January 22 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Out of interest what part of the country was this from?  It might have been a well used term in those parts.

Barking in Essex

Offline violetqueen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 January 22 17:07 GMT (UK) »
I love that an official ,especially a church based one who might be expected to be judgemental ,employed such careful language .