Author Topic: The Royal Aid Society  (Read 63 times)

Offline Northumberland1981

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Royal Aid Society
« on: Tuesday 11 January 22 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I am researching my great-great granduncle, Samuel Matthews, b.1835 in Aberford, Yorkshire. It turns out he was somewhat of a rogue, or more accurately, a career criminal. Newspaper reports tell of various acts of theft from 1854 and prison and court records corroborate this, with short(ish) spells in various prisons until 1871, when he was caught and tried for horse stealing and sentenced to 10 years imprisonment.
He ended up in Chatham prison and was finally released on license from Millbank prison 5th July 1880. "License number 94273 and 35447, Destination, Royal Aid Society London."
However, I can find no trace of Samuel after this, nor have been able to uncover anything relating to the Royal Aid Society, although I understand it was a place to help ex-prisoners reintegrate into society. I am unable to find any records, marriage, death, census etc. after this date and was wondering if anyone could assist me in finding out what happened.
Many Thanks

Offline Hillhurst

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Royal Aid Society
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 January 22 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi - wasn't your Samuel a "groom" at one time or another? If so, the record image below may be of interest. Birthplace is "America" but the age and occupation fits.

Also, the 1897 record image beneath it lists occupation as "sailor".

West Yorkshire, England, Prison Records, 1801-1914
Name:   Samuel Matthews
Birth Year:    abt 1835
Birth Place:  America
Event Date:  4 Mar 1899
Prison or Quarter Session:   HMP Wakefield
Sentence:   Imprisonment or Servitude

Name:   Samuel Matthews
Birth Year:    abt 1834
Birth Place:  America
Event Date:  17 May 1897
Prison or Quarter Session:   HMP Wakefield