Author Topic: How much proof do you need?  (Read 1505 times)

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How much proof do you need?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 12 January 22 10:41 GMT (UK) »

In my case all available proof.
That may seem like a simple answer but in reality I keep looking for proof, and additional information all the time.

Family history is a hobby that keeps on giving, paper collections of records keep becoming available to the public, whether they are records that have been in private hands being donated to county archives or public records that have become availble with time. The advent of the internet has also made records that were available but inaccessible, now accessible to all, even if that means paying a small price (virtually any fee charge is more than likely to be far cheaper that travelling to visit the archive in person).

I am continually updating the evidence I hold for my research, that may be something as simple as downloading a baptism or burial register image to replace a transcript from an old book, or it could be a wall plaque I have been able to photograph in a church I have not been able to visit previously.

Every single record in my family history database is a work in progress, in my eyes in a similar way I have updated and enlarged the work my grandfather left.
I hope one of my sons or my grandchildren will carry my work & my gandfather's work on in the future for their descendants.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline rogerb

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 12 January 22 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Guy - continuing research means you can also spot mistakes you may have made in the past as well!

Back to my case, there is  a John Morley born in the same Parish as the marriage with Sarah Jones about 29 years previously.  The father's name is William.  But I can find no suitable marriage for William, nor any potential siblings for John.

As the saying goes, when one door opens, another one slams in your face!

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 12 January 22 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Guy - continuing research means you can also spot mistakes you may have made in the past as well!

Back to my case, there is  a John Morley born in the same Parish as the marriage with Sarah Jones about 29 years previously.  The father's name is William.  But I can find no suitable marriage for William, nor any potential siblings for John.

As the saying goes, when one door opens, another one slams in your face!

Have you thought that a family living on a barge might have arrived in Bristol via the Kennet and Avon canal?

Furthermore; the surname "Morley" is a place near Leeds, West Riding, Yorkshire, and I see from Genuki that there is also a place named Morley in Derbyshire.    Both counties had canals that could have brought the bride and the groom together.

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 12 January 22 14:26 GMT (UK) »
I've had to do some research when a groom has changed occupations and I needed to prove that the person I originally put on my tree as a salesman and member of a manufacturing metal working company up in Aberdeen changed his occupation later in life and became a photographer in Sunderland.

The link between the company that made signs for the railway and also manufactured its own miners lamp was that the first photographs consisted of a metal base and the salesman ancestor had experience of working with metal.

"Louis Daguerre developed the metal based daguerreotype process, the first publicly announced and commercially viable photographic process. The daguerreotype required only minutes of exposure in the camera, and produced clear, finely detailed results. The details were introduced to the world in 1839, a date generally accepted as the birth year of practical photography."
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke