Author Topic: What steps should I take next?  (Read 1677 times)

Offline markcafc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: What steps should I take next?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 12 January 22 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the links, they are really interesting :)

Duncan & Mandy's Website

http://www.oodwooc.co.uk

Contains over 61,000 thousand photographs of places they have visited, mostly Wiltshire.  This Includes Location Index.

Under The Church of St Michael, Aldbourne, apart from Church photographs, and under the Heading, The Whitton Team - www.whittonteam.org.uk ...

St Michael's Churchyard Heritage Project

have a comprehensive digital record of burial plot information dating back to the second half of the nineteen century, including plots for which there are no headstones, as well as photos of each gravestone (from 1677) with full inscriptions,  etc. etc.

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 12 January 22 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply  :)

I have a birth, marriage and death entry for Thomas all in Aldbourne, Wiltshire.  I will take a look at the other areas as you suggest and hopefully stumble across something.

How do you know for sure that is where he was born?

Is the birth (is it a baptism? Doesn’t it name at least his father?) entry online?  Can you please link? Or attach.

Offline markcafc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 12 January 22 20:01 GMT (UK) »
My bad, I can't find any mention of where I recorded the birth :(  It was a few years back, I think I recorded it from a Wiltshire site of parish records I found.

I have:
Thomas Chalice - Born 1763, Aldbourne, Wiltshire
Married Ann Bunce 28 Jul 1788, Aldbourne, Wiltshire
Died 1799, Aldbourne, Wiltshire

Child (my great grandfather x4)
Thomas Challis - Born 1795, Aldbourne, Wiltshire
Married Sarah Lambdon 26 Sep 1819, Aldbourne, Wiltshire
Died 1850, Hungerford, Berkshire

Thank you for your reply  :)

I have a birth, marriage and death entry for Thomas all in Aldbourne, Wiltshire.  I will take a look at the other areas as you suggest and hopefully stumble across something.

How do you know for sure that is where he was born?

Is the birth (is it a baptism? Doesn’t it name at least his father?) entry online?  Can you please link? Or attach.

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 12 January 22 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Deleted, too young

Offline Drayke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 13 January 22 09:16 GMT (UK) »
I had a look at the Aldbourne parish register images on Ancestry and there is no mention of any Chalice/Challis family members born there anywhere near 1763 when you mention Thomas as being baptised there.

I notice that you mention that your Thomas died in Hungerford Berkshire...Have you tried searching in nearby counties such as Berkshire of which the border is a hop, skip and a jump from Aldbourne?

The reason I ask is because 17 minutes (15km) away in West Shefford, Berkshire a Frances Chalice is listed as the wife of John Chalice being buried there 27 Apr 1773. Is this perhaps where your Thomas got the name for his daughter?

Additionally, given that Lambourn, Berkshire is only 12mins (9km) away it may be a good place to also look as there appear to be many, Chalice/Challis family members baptised, married and buried there. Such as John Chalice the elder of Lambourn Woodlands buried on 15 Jan 1777.

There is also a Thomas Challice son of John and Ann baptised in Lambourn on 29 Dec 1751. Whilst older than you have stated Thomas to be (you say 1763) is it possible that Thomas married late in life (37)?

Lastly, there is a Benjamin Chalice Gentleman of Newbury, Berkshire who left a will (PCC) 5 May 1779 who mentions his children of which one being a late Richard Challis, who had the children (grandchildren of the testator): Mary, John, Thomas and Elizabeth. The will also mentions another son of Benjamin - Thomas who had the following children (grandchildren of the testator) at the time: Joseph, Thomas and Elizabeth.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 13 January 22 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried the actual IGI collection at Familysearch.
Used to be a boon and a blessing in the old days, not sure how much extra help it is these days, but worth mentioning:

https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/igi
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline markcafc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 13 January 22 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for all of this information, it is super helpful and really appreciated :)  I will take a look through everything at the weekend when I get a chance and post back.

I had a look at the Aldbourne parish register images on Ancestry and there is no mention of any Chalice/Challis family members born there anywhere near 1763 when you mention Thomas as being baptised there.

I notice that you mention that your Thomas died in Hungerford Berkshire...Have you tried searching in nearby counties such as Berkshire of which the border is a hop, skip and a jump from Aldbourne?

The reason I ask is because 17 minutes (15km) away in West Shefford, Berkshire a Frances Chalice is listed as the wife of John Chalice being buried there 27 Apr 1773. Is this perhaps where your Thomas got the name for his daughter?

Additionally, given that Lambourn, Berkshire is only 12mins (9km) away it may be a good place to also look as there appear to be many, Chalice/Challis family members baptised, married and buried there. Such as John Chalice the elder of Lambourn Woodlands buried on 15 Jan 1777.

There is also a Thomas Challice son of John and Ann baptised in Lambourn on 29 Dec 1751. Whilst older than you have stated Thomas to be (you say 1763) is it possible that Thomas married late in life (37)?

Lastly, there is a Benjamin Chalice Gentleman of Newbury, Berkshire who left a will (PCC) 5 May 1779 who mentions his children of which one being a late Richard Challis, who had the children (grandchildren of the testator): Mary, John, Thomas and Elizabeth. The will also mentions another son of Benjamin - Thomas who had the following children (grandchildren of the testator) at the time: Joseph, Thomas and Elizabeth.