Author Topic: 16 years between children  (Read 400 times)

Offline jamie300

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
16 years between children
« on: Wednesday 12 January 22 07:12 GMT (UK) »
In 1891 both parents are 40 with a 17-year old son and a 1 year old son. In 1901 the older son is still living there along with the 11-year old and also an 8 year-old, both listed as sons of the 50-year old couple.

How common is such a gap between children? Would you be suspicious? How suspicious? What are the chances an unmarried woman's children would live with the father's parents? This is in a town in the Scottish Borders.

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 16 years between children
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 January 22 07:54 GMT (UK) »
Maybe it was a second marriage for the head of the household.

Do the birth registrations seem legitimate?
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Online tazzie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 January 22 08:01 GMT (UK) »
Same thought here. I have a couple in 1881 with two children 4 and 1. 1891family had moved back to the wife's town and now had a 2 year old and 6 months. Births all had mother Eliza and same mothers maiden name.
 Turns out first wife died end of 1881 husband moves back to family for help with children ......then married wifes cousin ...Same name but two years younger.

Tazzie
Liscoe -all
Green/Simpson/Underwood-Beds
Walker/Foulkes/Fookes/Fooks/Hedges/Lamborne-Bucks.
Stanton/Pattrick/Cooper/Fitzjohn/Holland/Spalding-London
 Rewallin/Underwood -Devon
 Casbolt-London/Cambridge
 Favell/Favel - Lincs-Beds

This information is Crown Copyright from
   www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 January 22 08:01 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked to see if there were any children who were perhaps both born and died between census years?

Boo

Offline Guy Etchells

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 January 22 08:47 GMT (UK) »
I would not be surprised as it is easily explained, but having said that it would spur me to check I had not missed any births inbetween and of cousre check when they married.

Why?

The 17 year old son assumes his birth in about 1874 and possibly a marriage round about the same year or even years before, if you do not have the marriage the 1871 census could help here.
Having found the marriage you can then check to see if the couple had any births before and after the marriage, births before should/may be under the wife's maiden name.
If there seems to be only the one birth between their marriage and the birth circa 1893 then it looks as if the couple did not want children or they could not have children.
If they felt they could not have children it is very possible they stopped using any form of birth control before 1893 and were surprised when they found out they had conceived a second child.

A upsetting option is the couple may have conceived and lost a number of children between child one and child two as records recording  miscarriages and indeed stillbirths were not officially kept in those days.
There is a slight chance that church records might record the churching of the mother after she had miscarried but that is very slight
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Online Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 January 22 17:13 GMT (UK) »
It was only 19 years between eldest and youngest. Wife was around 23 when eldest known son was born and 42 when youngest was born.
Most likely explanations are that there were infant deaths, stillbirths or miscarriages, or the couple weren't very fertile, or one of them suffered poor health, or the first birth was difficult and they were reluctant to risk another.
Did the husband have an occupation which may have taken him away from home for long periods?
I found a couple of cases similar to tazzie. Both wives of 1 GF had same forename and were born in May of the same year. I knew he'd been married twice. A sister of a GGF married the widower of one of her cousins; children of both marriages had the same surname. She belonged to a large extended Irish family, 2 sets of cousins lived in 1 street. Most forenames were shared by several cousins.
I knew a family with 3 children, a decade between each birth.
"Afterthought" or "surprise" babies were something that happened for women in their 40's.     
Cowban

Online Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 January 22 17:42 GMT (UK) »

Both wives of 1 GF had same forename

Father of one of my aunts-by-marriage also had 2 wives with the same forename. Children born over a span of 30+ years, the last was my aunt. 
Cowban