Author Topic: STEWART family arrival about 1830  (Read 1441 times)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: STEWART family arrival about 1830
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 13 January 22 09:00 GMT (UK) »
It fits as in the family files I do have a sister for Emma b.c.1811 and that is Hannah Sophia b.c.1820 so that is one under 12 and one over 12.

There is a possible baptism for Hannah STEWARD at Sproughton, Suffolk on 3 Feb 1819, parents Robert and Sophia. I can only see the index, so not sure what other information may be on the register.  :-\

Modified to add:
Sorry, wrong family as they are still baptising children after 1832.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 13 January 22 09:10 GMT (UK) »
Again, possibly not related - there is a baptism of a Humphrey STEWART in St Mary Lancaster on 10 April 1813 to parents Robert and Sophia. Robert is "quartermaster sargeant in the Carlow militia".

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 13 January 22 11:24 GMT (UK) »
The 48th were on garrison duties in Ireland 1813.... I will get my copy papers out on the weekend, in case. :D

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline donnabailey77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 13 January 22 21:25 GMT (UK) »
According to Robert's (junior) death certificate (informant his brother Frederick) Robert was born at sea about 1809. But the family does not come to Australia until 1832 on the Florentia so this birth at sea is over 20 years earlier and I am assuming it is related to their father's military service. (Both Robert and Frederick's death certificates line up with the date of 1832 for their arrival into Australia)

I am assuming the father Robert had been discharged and retired from his military service before he then brought his family out to Australia in 1832. On Emma's death certificate her father's occupation is given as Forwarding Agent. On her brother Frederick's death certificate their father's occupation is listed as House Agent. It was only on Robert junior's death (the earliest death and his brother Frederick is informant) where he is listed as soldier. Perhaps this is because he was a soldier as they were growing up and this is therefore what Frederick considered his occupation, whereas the later deaths of Emma and Frederick have grandchildren as informants and say a House/Forwarding Agent. Maybe this was his job once he had retired from military service and brought his family to Australia?

So with this soldier information I need to look at British military records when the family was still back in London? I'm not sure where to start looking but it does appear this is where the clues are pointing.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 13 January 22 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately, the name is rather too common and you do not know where he came from, or when he was born, so searching for military records will be difficult. Here is just a small sample of possibilities:

ROBERT STEWART
Born GIBRALTAR, Gibraltar
Served in 11th Foot Regiment; Carlow Militia
Discharged aged 54
Date: 1826
(Covering date gives year of discharge.)

ROBERT STEWART
Born ANTRIM, Antrim
Served in 20th Foot Regiment; Fife Fencibles
Discharged aged 39
Date 1798-1829

ROBERT STEWART
Born AUGHALOO, Tyrone
Served in Tyrone Militia
Discharged aged 40
Date: 1804-1822

ROBERT STEWART
Born RAPHOE, Donegal
Served in 90th Foot Regiment
Discharged aged 43
Date: 1806-1820

ROBERT STEWART
Born AHOUGHILL, Antrim
Served in 94th Foot Regiment; West Lothian Fencibles
Discharged aged 43
Date: 1793-1818

ROBERT STEWART
Born ABERFOYLE, Perthshire
Served in 15th Foot Regiment
Discharged aged 29
Date: 1811-1822

Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 13 January 22 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked at the various options I mentioned earlier? 

The BDA index is an ongoing project, and there's certainly more than 2 chaps noted there who could be 'your' Robert STEWART.   

Anyway, here's some more on that soldier

I'm not sure what to do with this soldier information as if he wasn't a soldier any more when he arrived in Australia with his family I don't know where to look for his records without any other identifying information.

The Robert STEWART records I found discharged in 1824 in Sydney was a Robert STEWART who had enlisted in 1801 in Leeds, Yorkshire and appears to be a different Robert STEWART (d.10 may 1834) who married a Mary - both of whom are buried in the Devonshire Street Cemetery in Sydney.

Any thoughts?

Sydney Burial Ground Re-internments and Monumental Inscriptions.
Robert and Mary STEWART’s stone after removal from Devonshire St 1901 to La Perouse CofE, Section 4S, Plot 147.
Robert STEWART Late of HM 46TH Regt of Foot, died 10 May 1834 aged 56 years. 

Robert STEWART enlisted for 14 years, and seems his original regiment was the 46th, then on 25th March 1817  transferred to 48th regiment and then on 24  March 1824 to 3rd regiment.   (basically transferring allowed him to remain in NSW colony when those regiments tours of duty as garrison forces in NSW/VDL was completed and the regiments where shipped out.

https://www.bda-online.org.au/files/MR9_Military.pdf 

The Col Sec Papers INDEX has Robert STEWART formerly of the 48th, as being invalided from the 48th Regiment, per a memo where he is recorded as STEWARD … November 1825.  He received orders for grants of land 15 Nov 1825.  There’s NSW State Archives Ref numbers etc.
 https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/colonial-secretarys-papers
If you are looking up the regiments, then the Col Sec papers INDEX includes them under the words eg ‘Forty-eighth (48th) Regiment” or “Forty-seventh (47th) Regiment” and the reel numbers are usually noted there too, and can often be digitised at Trove via the Australian Joint Copying Project.

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline donnabailey77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 13 January 22 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Yes i looked into the Robert STEWART who died in 1834 but this can't be the correct one as he arrived in 1814 via the "Wyndham" and his wife was Mary.

I haven't been able to find a burial for my Robert STEWART arrived 1832 on the "Florentia" - wife Hannah Sophia or Sophia...  It's like Robert and his wife disappeared and I can only find traces of their children Robert (watchmaker), Frederick and Emma (married William COLLIE in 1836 - my 3rd great grandmother). There is also supposed to be a sister Hannah Sophia (daughter under 12 on Florentia) who according to old family papers married a Patrick McKINLEY in 1847 and died in Gundagai in 1855. Unfortunately I have not been able to find her to get her death certificate. Even using all the versions of McKINLEY I can think of I haven't found her death/burial.

An interesting tidbit is that on Frederick's death certificate in 1881 (aged 64) his occupation is listed as Gentleman...

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 13 January 22 23:20 GMT (UK) »
There is also supposed to be a sister Hannah Sophia (daughter under 12 on Florentia) who according to old family papers married a Patrick McKINLEY in 1847 and died in Gundagai in 1855.
Marriage record
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline donnabailey77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 13 January 22 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Yes I have found the marriage but that is all. I haven't bought the marriage as being so early I don't think it will have any additional clues to track down her father Robert. I hoped to find her death certificate to purchase to go with the ones for her siblings to compare the information on it but no luck so far.