Author Topic: STEWART family arrival about 1830  (Read 1490 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: STEWART family arrival about 1830
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 13 January 22 05:04 GMT (UK) »
Have you considered that some official records may have been recorded by officials who wrote what they thought they heard, based on their own accents and education, ..... So STEWART,  STUART, STURT, STEWARD, STOLLART, STOLLARD, SCHART,  and ROBERTS, ROBERTSON, ROBINSON, etc ...  where the first names have inadvertently swapped around.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline donnabailey77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 13 January 22 05:06 GMT (UK) »
Yes I have had that happen with other families so I have looked for all variations I can think of for STEWART and still haven't been able to find them.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 13 January 22 05:32 GMT (UK) »

Where is Emma COLLIE buried?

When did husband William COLLIE die?  Where is he buried?

Robert STEWART, father to your Emma would seem to have better than average occupation. Do you see a Will for him at death in NSW?.

Offline donnabailey77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 13 January 22 05:38 GMT (UK) »
Emma died in Newtown in 1903 and I have her death certificate. Her mother's name is not listed and her father is given as Robert STEWART occupation Forwarding Agent.

William died in Grafton in 1875 and I have his death certificate.

No I hadn't thought to search for a will for Robert. Where are these indexes located?

Offline donnabailey77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 13 January 22 05:41 GMT (UK) »
I just found that Robert STEWART died 19 dec 1865 does have a will. How do I get a copy of this?

Offline donnabailey77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 13 January 22 05:41 GMT (UK) »
Lol never mind. I figured it out

Offline donnabailey77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 13 January 22 06:03 GMT (UK) »
So the will mentions his children but no mention of any of his siblings.

One other lead is on his death certificate it says his father was a soldier. This would be the Mr Robert STEWART who arrived on the "Florentia" in 1832 with wife and 2 daughters. I am assuming at this stage he had been discharged and then worked as a House/Forwarding Agent as this is what his occupation was listed as on Emma and Frederick's death certificates. The informants on these much later certificates were Robert's (senior) grandchildren, whereas the informant for Robert's (junior - the watchmaker) death certificate is his brother Frederick.

I'm not sure what to do with this soldier information as if he wasn't a soldier any more when he arrived in Australia with his family I don't know where to look for his records without any other identifying information.

The Robert STEWART records I found discharged in 1824 in Sydney was a Robert STEWART who had enlisted in 1801 in Leeds, Yorkshire and appears to be a different Robert STEWART (d.10 may 1834) who married a Mary - both of whom are buried in the Devonshire Street Cemetery in Sydney.

Any thoughts?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 13 January 22 07:37 GMT (UK) »
What foot regiment for the Robert Stewart  taking discharge Sydney 1824 please.

There may be military payrolls, and further documents in the Australian Joint Copying Project that is now digitised as part of Trove.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 13 January 22 07:55 GMT (UK) »

So the will mentions his children but no mention of any of his siblings.

One other lead is on his death certificate it says his father was a soldier. ........

I'm not sure what to do with this soldier information as if he wasn't a soldier any more when he arrived in Australia with his family I don't know where to look for his records without any other identifying information.

The Robert STEWART records I found discharged in 1824 in Sydney was a Robert STEWART who had enlisted in 1801 in Leeds, Yorkshire and appears to be a different Robert STEWART (d.10 may 1834) who married a Mary - both of whom are buried in the Devonshire Street Cemetery in Sydney.

Any thoughts?

Could be 48th regiment.

He died 1834,  buried Devonshire St,  and later re-interred La Perouse.  Wife's name for this chap was Mary. 

I will type up info tomorrow if you need it, but he was born 1778,  arrived 1814ish firstly to VDL, babies born there, then by 1819 back in Sydney and more babies born.  1828 census family in Erskine St, Sydney.