Author Topic: Grandparents of James Campbell McLeod (20 Feb 1871 - bef 1924)  (Read 794 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Grandparents of James Campbell McLeod (20 Feb 1871 - bef 1924)
« Reply #9 on: Friday 14 January 22 14:56 GMT (UK) »
 ;D Doesn't matter who found it, it is found (...but thank you for the thank you  ;)).

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 14 January 22 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Flora 1 Nov 1867 Denny, Stirling, Scotland.  Flora seems wrong.
She is.

Another couple named Donald McLeod and Janet/Jessie Campbell had a family in Glasgow/Govan/Denny who overlap with the family in Nigg, ROC:
John 15 Jan 1858
Christina 7 June 1861
Janet and Malcolm 16 April 1863
James 3 April 1865
Flora 1 November 1867
Elizabeth 23 April 1870

Flora McLeod, 3, born Denny, is in the 1871 census in Glasgow with Donald, 40; Janet, 36; John, 13; Mary, 11; Janet, 7; James, 5.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Sildeag

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 14 January 22 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Forfarian.

Donald McLeod was Jessie Campbell's first and perhaps only husband.

It is the first family.  They appear to have gone back to Nigg, ROC and died there as I couldn't find them elsewhere.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 14 January 22 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Donald McLeod was Jessie Campbell's first and perhaps only husband.
The point is that there were two completely different Donald M(a)cLeods married to two diferent Janet/Jessie Campbells, and that Flora b 1867 in Denny was not a child of the couple in Nigg, ROC.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Sildeag

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 14 January 22 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Forfarian thanks.  Yes, I realized that because Donald McLeod died in Nigg in 1867 aged 25.  A little hard for him to be alive in 1871.     

Offline Alasdairmac21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 07 February 22 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Donald Macleod and Jessie Campbell are my 3x great grandparents. Their daughter, Catherine, is my line. She married Peter Gilmour in Cromarty. I have a photo of the two of them sitting outside their cottage.

Not much help, as I don't know much more than what you've already found on James.

Alasdair

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 03 April 22 11:46 BST (UK) »
After seeing your later thread https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=860741.0 and coming back to this one, I wonder if James Campbell McLeod's father was in fact a McLeod at all?

Donald McLeod died in Nigg in 1867 aged 25
mother's maiden surname Fraser.

His widow then gives birth to James Campbell McLeod in 1871.

Twenty years later, James Campbell McLeod gets married, and tells the registrar that his father was James McLeod.

There are various possibilities
(1) He is genuinely the illegitimate son of a James McLeod
(2) He knows that his mother's husband was a McLeod but makes a mistake about his mother's husband's given name
(3) He invents a father to hide the fact that he is illegitimate
(4) Some other explanation I haven't thought of

There is a possibility that Jessie's illegitimate pregnancy might have come to the attention of the Kirk Session of eiither Nigg or Fearn, and if so that that their minutes might provide a clue to the identity of James Campbell McLeod's father. Unfortunately the Kirk Session minutes for 1870 onwards have not yet been made available on Scotland's People, though they do exist, according to the catalogue of the National Records of Scotland
CH2/555/5    Nigg Kirk Session - Minutes (register of doctrine and discipline)    1862-1884
CH2/995/3    Fearn Kirk Session - Minutes and communion rolls and baptisms    1870-1907

(Why, I wonder, was Jessie living with her parents in 1871, using her maiden surname, having left her daughters Catherine and Jessie with their grandmother Janet Fraser or McLeod? I see that her daughter Elizabeth and son David had both died in infancy.)