Author Topic: marriage  (Read 151 times)

Offline ilovelucy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
marriage
« on: Thursday 13 January 22 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Greetings researchers,
I have been searching without success to find out more information about this marriage:

John Henderson
Marriage: 5 February 1726
Tweedmouth Northumberland
Spouse: Elenor Anderson

Any information would be helpful - births, children, parents, etc..  I realize that records start in 1711 for Tweedmouth.  I have checked for Elenor in Berwick Upon Tweed without success too.  Perhaps she comes from a nearby parish???  I cannot get into the early Tweedmouth parish images.  I can't find the original parish marriage record.  HELP!

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: marriage
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 January 22 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Where did  you find this marriage record?

Northumberland Archives hold the original registers for Tweedmouth
See:
https://northumberlandarchives.com/docs/ANGLICAN%20PARISH%20REGISTERS%20-%20reviewed%20November%202017.pdf
and they will provide an image of the original register for 6.

NB given the time frame, I'd doubt it will say much more than the date and the names of the bride and groom. I'd be amazed if it gave information about parents but happy to be proved wrong

Tweedmouth Bts (where images are available on Family Search, transcripts on FreeReg) are from 1764 so too late for children of this marriage

So again, the only current option is Northumberland Archives either by visiting or to order copies  - but a request to search for 'possible' children's births  would be time consuming so would come under the heading of a 'research request' which would command a much higher charge than if you are able to give them  a date and names to work with.

Boo

Offline ilovelucy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 January 22 07:05 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your comment.  I found this record in FamilySearch Wiki.  I agree that the parish record will have much the same information.  I have found this out on Scotland's People when I pay to view a record.  It was an interesting record for me.  I am searching  Allison Henderson/John Young from Tweedmouth.  The dates don't really work out, but....  John Young was born in 1750.  I have searched all over - Northumberland and Scotland  - for an Allison Henderson with no success.  Then I found two records for an Alice Henderson in Tweedmouth.  The marriage record says that she is from the parish.  One Alice was born in 1741 and the second in 1742.  The marriage was in 1777.  There are records of other Hendersons, sibblings???, born in the 1740's but it is a little late for this marriage and she would be a little old for her own marriage.

I was searching for parents for Alice Henderson when I found the 1726 marriage.  On a hunch, I checked the children of Allison and John Young.  The first son was named John and the first daughter was named Eleanor.  In Scottish tradition, the first daughter is named after the wife's mother.  Very interesting!!!  I can't really connect anything, but that is why I posted.  Just throwing it out there after all my research is exhausted for now.  Thank you again for responding.

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 January 22 09:46 GMT (UK) »
a few baptisms of children of John Henderson of Spittle.  No mother's name mentioned.  Some burials

21 May 1827  Elizabeth Henderson d. John, in Spittle
29 May 1729  Mary Henderson d. John, in Spittle 
28 Feb 1730  William s. John, in Spittle  buried 31 Jul 1834
 4 Sep 1734   Elizabeth d John, in Spittle
 3 Apr 1737   Ann Henderson d. John, in Spittle
 3 Feb 1739  Jane Henderson d. John, in Spittle  died Spittle bur. 13 Mar 1740
14 Mar 1741  Alice Henderson d. John, in Spittle
 8  Jul 1744   John Henderson s. John, in Spittle  died Spittle bur. 10 Jun 1745
19 Apr 1747  John Henderson s. John, in Spittle

Too late for me to look much more

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ilovelucy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 January 22 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.  I will check these records out.