Author Topic: What might this say under Blackfriars?  (Read 531 times)

Offline Silvercup

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What might this say under Blackfriars?
« on: Friday 14 January 22 08:02 GMT (UK) »
This is a birth place from the 1921 census. Whatever it said has had Blackfriars written over the top. States to be somewhere in London.

The closest thing I can come up with is Hammersmith but I'm not sure. It looks to be quite a long word.

This could actually be quite useful information!

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: What might this say under Blackfriars?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 January 22 08:55 GMT (UK) »
Who does the record belong to and what is the column heading please? Is it birthplace or current residence or.....?

Offline Silvercup

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 January 22 09:14 GMT (UK) »
Attaching more of the return.

It's the birthplace of Emily Elizabeth Smith. I actually know her birth details so don't need help with that. However she was missing from the previous 2 censuses as a child and I'm hoping this could give a clue as to her whereabouts!

It's interesting that there looks to be 2 different handwriting on the form. I've cross referenced with their marriage certificate and I think she started to fill the form out (names) and then he's taken over. He's filled out where he believed her to be born (ie where she was brought up) and she's corrected that to Blackfriars. She's not entirely wrong - she was born in Southwark right by the Blackfriars Road.

I have been looking for her in 1901 and 1911 for years and am desperate for leads.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 January 22 10:22 GMT (UK) »
The first letter could start with H as it's a similar form to the H in Head  but I can't see any other letters clearly. I suppose it could have been Hammersmith.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 January 22 21:10 GMT (UK) »
I thought Hammersmith because of initial H and length, not very scientific.

OP perhaps put this on the other part of this heading - relating to old photographs.  I have seen the image wizards there remove writing & smudges etc  to see what is underneath. 

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 January 22 21:32 GMT (UK) »

OP perhaps put this on the other part of this heading - relating to old photographs.  I have seen the image wizards there remove writing & smudges etc  to see what is underneath. 

I do a lot of restoring on the photo board but I don't think it can be revealed unless a lot of guessing is done.

Add - As i said previously, Hammersmith is the closest. I think it reads Ham..............  The other letters are incorporated into Blackfriars
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • New to genealogy -a great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 January 22 00:29 GMT (UK) »
If you look for her on the 1939 register it gives her D.O.B. as 6th September 1896, if that helps.
Coffey, Cummins, Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 15 January 22 01:37 GMT (UK) »
The only other alternative that I can think of is Holborn.
Where did they marry?

Offline Silvercup

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 15 January 22 08:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, I have her birth cert so I do know when and where she was born. They married in Camberwell but I don't think that offers clues to her whereabouts.

Hammersmith probably looking like the most likely option then - it is interesting that he would write that down, it wouldn't be for nothing. Time to start looking for some family connections to Hammersmith! (She was said to have been brought up by 2 aunts but I've never been able to locate who)