Author Topic: After any help with the military service of John Rainer 1880s  (Read 807 times)

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
After any help with the military service of John Rainer 1880s
« on: Friday 14 January 22 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, I’m hoping some of your expertise will be able to help me with this for a friend please.

Her great grandad was John Rainer sometimes Raynor born 1856 in Leicester. Found a WW1 pension record for him having rejoined age 60! Service number 38608 in the RDC. He was disabled out due to haemorrhoids! Ouch! He states that he had previously served in the 2nd Battalion Leicestershire regiment and that he had had haemorrhoids since serving in India.

He is missing in the 1871 and 1881 censuses, so would this be general service in India? I’ve just read about the Battalion being in Lucknow in 1887 as there’s a well known execution of one of their soldiers. He married in Leicester in 1886 so wasn’t there then but I presume was previously.

There’s a J Raynor received the Boer War medals but I don’t think that will be him as he’s in the 1901 census.

Is there any way I can find out more without contacted the regiment, any help greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

wood,west,williams,morgan,sollars,hawker,snell,roach,clark,symons. In bristol,fremington,instow,rhymney,colyton

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: After any help with the military service of John Rainer 1880s
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 January 22 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Search for any existing 19th century military records for him on Find My Past.
TIP: If you search the British Army, Worldwide Index 1871 collection it will display the regiment names, ranks, and service numbers. Whereas if you search using the general Military records section these details won't display.

Did a quick search on J Rainer/Raynor in the British Army, Worldwide Index 1871, but don't see anyone serving in a Leicester unit.

There is a John Raynor (862) who served in the General Depot Battalion and Royal Victoria Hospital units.

There isn't a British Army, Worldwide Index 1881.

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 January 22 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi I’ve got a fold3 account and have looked on that, also can’t see anyone in a Leicestershire regiment, it all seems very odd to me!

wood,west,williams,morgan,sollars,hawker,snell,roach,clark,symons. In bristol,fremington,instow,rhymney,colyton

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 January 22 13:54 GMT (UK) »
The "J Raynor" on the 2nd Leics Boer War KSA medal roll is actually I Raynor:  Isaac Raynor 4822
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 January 22 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Shaun, presumed it’s wasn’t him, could he have lied about it or would they have picked that up about him previously serving?

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 January 22 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Possibilities for his earlier service:

• He was discharged without going on to pension, and his service records had subsequently been destroyed
  • He served under a different name
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 January 22 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Was he your friend's grandad (as per your post) or her great-grandad? Just curious.

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 January 22 14:26 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, good spot, meant great grandad! Just double checked the pension record and it definitely states 2nd Leicesters, then says “originated many years in India, caused by constipation whilst serving for the army in India, not result of military service”

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 14 January 22 14:39 GMT (UK) »
If he was serving by 1871 he was quite young (15 or 16)? May have lied about his age when he enlisted. Or as Shaun suggests, he may have served under a different name.

Shaun - can I just ask why there isn't a British Army, Worldwide Index for 1881? Is it just not available, or not available online?