Author Topic: Owen Roberts, Buarth Cerrig, Llangernyw  (Read 908 times)

Offline wallbanger

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Owen Roberts, Buarth Cerrig, Llangernyw
« on: Friday 14 January 22 16:57 GMT (UK) »
 I have an Owen Roberts in my partner's tree, son of Isaac, Buarth Cerrig, Llangernyw, born 1863. He married my partner's Gt. Aunt in 1891. There is a memorial in the local cemetery to Owen Roberts, Buarth Cerrig, who died 1954, aged 79. I've always assumed this Owen was same one, even though the age at death is roughly 10 years out. I have both the birth and death certificates, as well as the marriage to Catherine.

The family lived at Dolhyfryd, Pandy Tudur, Llangernyw from about 1911, but his wife died in 1925, so I had assumed he had moved back to the family home after her death, as he is shown at Buarth Cerrig in 1939, a widow, but he has given his birthdate as 21 Jun 1876, not 1863. 

I recently came across the death notice for Owen of Buarth Cerrig in 1954 in the paper, and I was surprised to read about surviving children I'd never heard of. There was no mention of the two children he had with wife Catherine, known as Kate. Either he must have married again, aged about 60, after his wife's death, and had more children who were all adults and married by 1954, or this is a  completely different Owen. Owen did have about 8 siblings, so it's possible the name was one that was shared by cousins that I've not come across. Incidentally, for some reason, he's missing from the 1921 census, his wife is still at Dolhyfryd, married, but on her own. I'd be grateful for any help or suggestions, or if anyone also has him in their tree. Thanks.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Owen Roberts, Buarth Cerrig, Llangernyw
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 January 22 18:57 GMT (UK) »
What is the wording on the memorial?  Does it mention wife Catherine or any other "clue"

Presume he was still alive when Catherine died in 1925?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 January 22 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I m not sure where it fits in, or if it does at all but there is a wedding mentioned in the North Wales Weekly News16th Oct 1958
Lawrence Edward Lloyd to Megan Roberts, 2nd daughter of Mr & Mrs Owen Roberts, Buarth Cerrig, Pandy Tudor, Abergele.
She was given away by her Father.
Bridesmaids Daisy and Morwenna Roberts
Also a marriage in 1953 for a Lilian Jane Roberts who resided at Buarth Cerrig.
Perhaps a different generation?

Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 January 22 19:21 GMT (UK) »
There is a 1954 will for Owen Roberts - probate granted to Owen Roberts.  He died 20.2.1954
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline wallbanger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 January 22 21:00 GMT (UK) »
What is the wording on the memorial?  Does it mention wife Catherine or any other "clue"

Presume he was still alive when Catherine died in 1925?

I'll attach an image, hopefully. No clues other than his name, name of farm, year and age. It looks fairly modern, too, compared to the other gravestones. His wife, Catherine, or Kate, is down as 'married' on the 1921 census, so I'm assuming he was still alive. There are a few Owen's in the vicinity in 1921 but not a match. My photo is too big to upload, apparently. Sorry.

Offline wallbanger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 January 22 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I m not sure where it fits in, or if it does at all but there is a wedding mentioned in the North Wales Weekly News16th Oct 1958
Lawrence Edward Lloyd to Megan Roberts, 2nd daughter of Mr & Mrs Owen Roberts, Buarth Cerrig, Pandy Tudor, Abergele.
She was given away by her Father.
Bridesmaids Daisy and Morwenna Roberts
Also a marriage in 1953 for a Lilian Jane Roberts who resided at Buarth Cerrig.
Perhaps a different generation?

Cathy

Thanks, Cath, I missed that. I also found a notice for a Daisy Roberts as a wife of the deceased Owen Roberts again of Buarth Cerrig. I think it was 1984, I'd have to look for it again. I think I might have to hunt for another marriage to see if it's to widower, Owen. There is one to a Daisy Jones if it's the correct one. The children you mention I don't know about. Owen & Catherine had two children, Alfred and Jane, or Jannie, although Catherine had Alfred before she actually got married to Owen. I'll try and attach the death notice I found for 1954. The death certificate I sent for for 1954 has a son, Owen, as the informant.

Offline wallbanger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 January 22 21:17 GMT (UK) »
There is a 1954 will for Owen Roberts - probate granted to Owen Roberts.  He died 20.2.1954

Thanks, Carole, yes, I have the death certificate for that death. Owen is apparently the son and the informant, but his mother wasn't Owen's wife, Catherine, which is why I'm a tad confused. I think he must have remarried somewhere along the line, but he must have been at least 60 if he did. There's no mention of his two children to Catherine.

Offline wallbanger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 January 22 21:25 GMT (UK) »
I've tried to reduce the size of the memorial stone to upload it. Fingers crossed.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 14 January 22 21:29 GMT (UK) »
What was his occupation?

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***