Author Topic: Search for anyone that might of know known soldiers that new our Grandad  (Read 573 times)

Offline ChelseaAnne2206

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Search for anyone that might of know known soldiers that new our Grandad
« on: Friday 14 January 22 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,
Bit of a long shot but, I'm looking for anyone who had a family member that was sent to Belsen after the liberation.
My Fiance's Grandfather was Fred Speight, born 1911, approx 1943 he was in Whitburn, Durham.
We're not sure when Fred went to Germany but we know he went to Belsen and experienced the horrors of the camp.
From my research the British soldiers then went to Lubeck, for 10 or so days for a break.
He was 'nearby' the day Willam Joyce (Lord Haw Haw) was captured in Flensburg.

Does anyone have a relative that was there too? Maybe any photos of their grandfathers etc with his Army buddies before/during/after Belsen?

Philpott, Liggins, Shaw, Nortcliffe, Roebuck, Holmes, Thorogood, Baker, Speight, Wilson, Tyreman, Thompson, Jobbins, Sallabanks,

Offline stevej60

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Search for anyone that might of know known soldiers that new our Grandad
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 January 22 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Do you have a regiment for Fred? Where did the information of him being in Whitburn in 1943
come from?
Regards Steve.
Bland(Chester-le-street) Round(Dudley/Durham)Kirton(Gateshead)
Smith(Gateshead)Littleton(Sacriston)
Wayman(Cambs&Newcastle)Green(Lincs)Smith(bucks)
Watson(Gilling west & Gateshead)

Offline steviebyday

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 January 22 17:28 GMT (UK) »
  There's two in the Royal Artillery. attested  1939. 980089 F Speight, only info To Tynemouth HVY 12 6/40. 5/12/1943 RASC,
   Attested  1940, 1659107 F Speight, only info S/L.

Offline ChelseaAnne2206

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 January 22 13:20 GMT (UK) »
To reply to you both at the same time, I'm not sure which Regiment he was in, the information on him being in Whitburn came from his Son (my father in law), and Fred's Service number was 980089.
Philpott, Liggins, Shaw, Nortcliffe, Roebuck, Holmes, Thorogood, Baker, Speight, Wilson, Tyreman, Thompson, Jobbins, Sallabanks,

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline stevej60

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 January 22 17:24 GMT (UK) »
To reply to you both at the same time, I'm not sure which Regiment he was in, the information on him being in Whitburn came from his Son (my father in law), and Fred's Service number was 980089.
Makes sense Whitburn ranges were still in service until a few years ago I wonder if he was in an
anti-aircraft unit which were based there for the defence of Sunderland,the hard part is tracing
his RASC unit as there were hundreds of units doing hundreds of jobs I think you need to go down
the MOD records route £30 all you need is date of birth and a copy death certificate.Just google
WW2 British army records you can download the forms.
Bland(Chester-le-street) Round(Dudley/Durham)Kirton(Gateshead)
Smith(Gateshead)Littleton(Sacriston)
Wayman(Cambs&Newcastle)Green(Lincs)Smith(bucks)
Watson(Gilling west & Gateshead)