Author Topic: Looking for details of Joseph Allison convict ship John Barry 1839 and died 1869  (Read 212 times)

Offline Layton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can you help find the resting place of Joseph Allison sailed on convict ship John Barry 1839 and died in pemratta Sydney 1869. He had 8 kids in Scotland did he have anymore in Australia and where in Sydney is he buried.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for details of Joseph Allison convict ship John Barry 1839 and died 1869
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 January 22 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

Welcome to RootsChat.

The information on a NSW bdm death registration includes several sections. 

:) The burial section is based on information directly sourced by the funeral director.  It includes the cemetery and the name of the  clergy conducting the burial. 

:) There is also a section including cause of death, a Medico supplies that information.   

:) The family history information is informant driven, so may not be as reliable as those ones I have just outlined.  Informants may be immediate family members or a hospital attendant or a neighbour or coroner etc. 

:) But the d.c. allows for the deceased's age, occupation, usual address, wife/ wives name, when and where married  children of the marriage/s, where deceased was  born, how long in the colonies, and names of deceased's parents including mum's maiden name... 

:) Dont buy the real deal cert,  it is in old style hand writing.  If you want the record,  try an Official Transcription, cheaper, and already deciphered by experienced people  who are  familiar with the NSW system and the scribes scribble.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for details of Joseph Allison convict ship John Barry 1839 and died 1869
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 January 22 12:03 GMT (UK) »
No death in 1869 for Joseph Allison
Only death in 1869 using Joseph and surname *l*ison
5318/1869 Joseph ELLISON ; AGE 74 YEARS; DIED PARRAMATTA; PARRAMATTA
date drills down to 30Jan1869

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 January 22 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Where did you get his year of death from?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Layton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 January 22 19:40 GMT (UK) »
The Death cert states Joseph Ellison rather than Allison. Looking to find out where he is buried and if he married and had children in Australia . He had 8 kids in Scotland.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 January 22 21:16 GMT (UK) »
The Death cert states Joseph Ellison rather than Allison. Looking to find out where he is buried and if he married and had children in Australia . He had 8 kids in Scotland.

From that death cert, can you please provide the recorded information in each of the columns on that document.  The information from the online index leads me to the view that that 1869 death registration will NOT include information about his parentage, and so I wonder how you have confirmed that he is 'your' Joseph ALLISON.   

The information on the actual death certificate that you have will have responses from the Undertaker regarding where buried, and that would usually be the cemetery.

May I please ask you to consider typing up the information from the death certificate perhaps after you have re-read my earlier reply (#1).    :D

I would expect the death cert to give you the following:
His names (given and surname)
When and where (date and place) he died
His sex, his then age and his occupation
The cause(s) of his death and the duration (days/months/years for each cause)
The name of the Medico certifying to the cause/s of his death, and the date when that person last saw the deceased
The deceased's Father's name and occupation and the deceased's mother's name and maiden name. CLEARLY the online index is reflecting the document and that detail is NOT noted on the death certificate.
 :) The Informant's details (name, relationship to the deceased)
 :) When and where the deceased married, who to, and details of the children of the marriage/s.   
 :) Usually this will be a chronological list of the then living children by name and age, and then the number and gender of those who had already succumbed, but sometimes only the number of children.  Until late 20th century, the death certificates ONLY account for children of the marriage/s, so children born outside of a formal marriage may not be noted on the certificate.  However, it depended on what the informant knew about the family and how the questions were asked of the informant.
 :) Children of deceased (usually names & ages are listed, but sometimes only the number of males/females is listed)
 :) The heading 'how long in the colonies' may also provide you with a possible link back to your chap, but you may need further research to confirm or eliminate the 1869 chap from your quest.

:)  :)  :) The funeral director/undertaker and cemetery details are on the actual certificate.  Please type these up so that any of the regulars reading your quest will know if their offline collections of NSW cemetery records may hold answers to your enquiry.  I should also mention that the NSW BDM district of Parramatta in that era (1860s and 1870s) covered an extensive geographical area, not just the now City of Parramatta. 

Cup of Life has given you the information from the online index.  The reference number on the top right hand corner of your copy of the death certificate reflects the 5318/1869.
No death in 1869 for Joseph Allison
Only death in 1869 using Joseph and surname *l*ison
5318/1869 Joseph ELLISON ; AGE 74 YEARS; DIED PARRAMATTA; PARRAMATTA
date drills down to 30Jan1869

https://www.nsw.gov.au/family-and-relationships/family-history-search/help-and-support#toc-free-online-search

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 January 22 22:48 GMT (UK) »
I am attaching a jpg of the headings on a death certificate issued by NSW BDM for a death that occurred in rural/regional NSW in 1869.  I hope this helps.  I can see there are many people who arrived in NSW in the early to mid 1800's and whose surname is recorded as ALLISON.

JM

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 January 22 23:43 GMT (UK) »
There is a report about him being apprehended after absconding in 1846 you may be interested in:
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article230140171

Modified to add:
and ticket of leave in Sept 1846 (in Parramatta)
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article230143713

Also this possible item in 1845 which mentions he is "attached to the Government Domain" as in the 1846 article above. In trouble for stealing a goose
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article228248468

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 January 22 23:55 GMT (UK) »
Also, apparently to rule out a Joseph ALLISON interred at Waverley Cemetery, there was this thread from 2005:
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=104094