Author Topic: Davidson/Nicol/Craig/Walker/Turnbull  (Read 2818 times)

Offline RedCoat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Davidson/Nicol/Craig/Walker/Turnbull
« on: Friday 02 September 05 19:16 BST (UK) »
Help, I am stuck.  I have traced the family back to the wedding of James Davidson/Janet Nicol in 1788 at Eddleston and their children were born in Innerleithen.  Since his first son was John, I am assuming his father was John.
Not able to go back any further.  Marriage cert. yields no info.  Died in 4 June 1840 at 88 years so born 1752 or 1751.  Were there obits for that period and where would I find them....
Davidson's of Innerleithen & Galashiels<br />Murray, Stevenson<br />Walker, Craig, Tait, Scot, Turnbull.<br />Fairfields of Gilnahirk, Co. Down Ireland<br />Morrey's from Oxfordshire<br />Collins from banbury, norwich, norfolk

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Davidson/Nicol/Craig/Walker/Turnbull
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 October 05 14:09 BST (UK) »
Hello,
 Had you thought about trying this?
http://www.originsnetwork.com/scotsorigins/SOSearchBC.aspx
If you go to Order Birth Transcription (OPR 1700-1854) I believe it's 9 pounds and if a no find you receive 3 pounds back.
regards Terri ;D
William Walker Glasgow<br />Pattison Northumberland<br />Pallent Suffolk<br /><br />This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RedCoat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 October 05 16:40 BST (UK) »
that might work if I knew his birth date.  There are 5 James Davidson's born circa 1752 or 1753. 
gary
Davidson's of Innerleithen & Galashiels<br />Murray, Stevenson<br />Walker, Craig, Tait, Scot, Turnbull.<br />Fairfields of Gilnahirk, Co. Down Ireland<br />Morrey's from Oxfordshire<br />Collins from banbury, norwich, norfolk

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 October 05 16:43 BST (UK) »
But have you not got that from his death date or the info on the tombstone? ::)
William Walker Glasgow<br />Pattison Northumberland<br />Pallent Suffolk<br /><br />This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RedCoat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 October 05 16:51 BST (UK) »
I just know that he died 1840 (June 6th) and that his tombstone says at the age of 88, which means he could have been born in either 1752 (or 1751, depending on his birthday.  The OPR states his age at 87 to further muddle things....
As I said earlier, there are a number of James born around that time 5 alone in Peebleshire and over 15 in all of Scotland.....
gary