Author Topic: Herron - Chestnut Street, Ashtington Northumberland  (Read 584 times)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HERRON - CHESTNUT STREET, ASHINGTON, NORTHUMBERLAND
« Reply #9 on: Monday 17 January 22 10:54 GMT (UK) »
There is a newspaper snippet, Find my Past (other pay sites perhaps also)

Morpeth Herald 13th July 1917
‘Loving memory of my dear brother, Private George Thomas Herron N.F, beloved husband of Kate Herron, Hirst and son of the late George and Alice Herron, late of Bedlington Station, missing since July 7th, now presumed dead Ever remembered by his loving sister, Martha and brother in law Tom."
It doesn’t quite make sense at the end and you would have to view it. I don’t have access.
Perhaps the address is that of a sister?

Have made "sense" of newspaper article (I can view it).

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 17 January 22 11:15 GMT (UK) »
Morpeth Herald, 3 July 1875
Marriages
"In this town, at the Register Office, 26th ult ...; Same day, Mr George Thomas Heron (one "n"), to Miss Alice Cressford; ..."

Newcastle Evening Chronicle, 6 Jul 1940
"DEATHS
HERRON - Linton Colliery, 29, Second Row (the residence of her daughter and son in law Mr and Mrs Tomlinson) on 5th inst., aged 83 years, Alice, beloved wife of the late George Thomas Herron, late of Ashington. Ashington friends please meet at Churchyard** 2.30 pm."

** Newcastle Journal, 8 July 1940
"... Interment Seaton Hirst Church today ..."

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 17 January 22 11:28 GMT (UK) »
There are several military records (transcriptions) for George Thomas Herron, born 1888, Sleekburn, father George Thomas Herron, mother Alice Cessford.
He died 7 July 1916 at the Battle of the Somme.

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 17 January 22 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Lorna,

The following is the information that I would have sent you if I had your email address:

Morpeth Herald, 13 July 1917
In Memoriam
‘In loving memory of my dear brother, Private George Thomas Herron, N.F., beloved husband of Kate Herron, Hirst, [Hirst was part of Ashington] and son of the late George and Alice Herron, late of Bedlington Station, missing since July 7th, now  presumed dead. – Ever remembered by his loving sister Martha and brother in law, Tom’

George Thomas Herron was in the 9th Battalion of the Northumberland Fusiliers, service number 14548. He enlisted at Ashington, Northumberland.

A search of army records finds that he was admitted to the 51st Field Ambulance (a mobile front line medical unit) on the 2nd March 1916. His entry shows that he was in ‘D’ Company of the 9th Battalion and he was suffering from FURUNCULOSIS (a deep infection of the skin). On the 5th March he was transferred to number 12 Casualty Clearing Station for treatment. (at this time, 12 CCS was based at HAZEBROUCK in Flanders)

George was presumed dead on the 7th July 1916, he has no known grave and is remembered on the Thiepval Memorial, France.

The 9th Battalion (known as the Northumberland Hussars) was a new battalion formed on the 22nd September 1914. The 9th were assigned to the 68th Brigade, 23rd Division and were fighting on the Western Front from August 1915.

The 9th Battalion were involved in the heavy fighting of the Battle of the Somme which commenced on the 1st July 1916. The Battalion’s war diaries record that by the 4th July they were in the trenches east of Becourt Chateau (not far from Fricourt). The diaries actually name the trenches that they were from the 6th July – they were QUADRANGLE and HEDGE LINE TRENCHES.
The Battalion’s actions on the 7th July are recorded in over 4 pages of diary entries with the last entry line for the 7th being ‘The casualty lists for the 4 days from 4th – 7th July show that during this period the Battalion lost, in killed, wounded and missing, 14 officers and 299 other ranks’. George was one of the 299 other ranks.

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Herron - Chestnut Street, Ashtington Northumberland
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 18 January 22 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Just to keep 'watchers' up to date, I have shown below some of the information that I PM'd the original poster.

Known facts:

Chestnut Street and Clyde Street both existed in the 1901 and 1911 Census; only Chestnut Street shows in the 1921 Census, Clyde Street has disappeared.

The 1911 Census shows that Chestnut Street only went up to number 106. Clyde Street only went up to number 200
Ashington Urban District Council decided to merge some of the street names in the Hirst area. One of the mergers was that Clyde Street was merged with Chestnut Street and became a longer Chestnut Street.
I can not tell you exactly when this occurred but we know that the two streets were separate in the 1911 Census (beginning of April 1911) and I found an item in the newspaper the Morpeth Herald, 10th May 1912' which was advertising an auction sale of household goods at number 253 Chestnut Street. The merger of the two street would have been between the taking of the 1911 Census and the newspaper article 10th May 1912.I ran this past a friend of mine who is a senior archivist at the County Archives and he confirmed that the merger had occurred.