Author Topic: McKibbins from Ballywalter and Ballyferris  (Read 489 times)

Offline CountyDownResearch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McKibbins from Ballywalter and Ballyferris
« on: Sunday 16 January 22 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello!  I am not new to genealogy research, but have hit a wall on death dates and where buried for McKibbins from Ballywalter. I have found some online and know they are buried in the old Whitechurch cemetery. My grandmother was a McKibbin and came to America in 1926. She was raised by her paternal grandparents there in Ballywalter, and I can’t find any information regarding their deaths or burials. They were married at Millisle Presbyterian in 1875. I know that they were alive when grandmother came over in 1926. Are church records usually kept on these?  I know that most of those are not online. Can anyone shed any light?  Thank you so much. (I know that John McKibbin’s family was in the Ballyferis area and that Mary Elizabeth Reid McKibbin’s family was from the Ganaway area.)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McKibbins from Ballywalter and Ballyferris
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 January 22 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Usually it's only the Church of Ireland that kept burial registers.
Where have you searched for the post 1926 deaths. Records for N.I. counties only go up to 1921 on Irish Genealogy and for later records you'll need to search GRONI's database.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 January 22 22:18 GMT (UK) »
I’ve searched both of those sites and have found nothing. Do most of the churches have a handwritten record of some sort?  That’s the only thing I could think of.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 January 22 22:22 GMT (UK) »

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 January 22 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Yes!  I have been working on this since 2018 and have built an extensive tree with many records that I have found, but just haven’t found the death records for her grandparents who raised her.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 January 22 07:32 GMT (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

They were married at Millisle Presbyterian in 1875. I know that they were alive when grandmother came over in 1926.
(I know that John McKibbin’s family was in the Ballyferis area and that Mary Elizabeth Reid McKibbin’s family was from the Ganaway area.)

Married 6th October 1875 at Millisle Presbyterian Church.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1875/11218/8112363.pdf

Both John and Mary living in the townland of Ganaway.
https://www.townlands.ie/down/upper-ards/ballywalter/ballywalter/ganaway/
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/4583369#map=13/54.5747/-5.5218

Here they are in 1901 census
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Down/Ballywalter/Ballywalter/1256563/

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 January 22 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Yes!  I have been working on this since 2018 and have built an extensive tree with many records that I have found, but just haven’t found the death records for her grandparents who raised her.

But where have you been searching for post 1926 deaths?

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 January 22 15:09 GMT (UK) »
I have been searching everywhere possible online. I live in America. I have a downloaded copy of their marriage certificate from Millisle Presbyterian, and I have searched Ros Davies site, especially the surnames of County Down and have been able to verify a few things. Hugh McKibbin is listed as John’s father on the marriage certificate, but I have not been able to find much on him, and know nothing of John’s mother. All of their children came to America, but one. That was Hugh, listed in the census of 1901. He moved to Liverpool and stayed until he died. I really appreciate this group and any help or suggestions. Thank you.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 January 22 15:13 GMT (UK) »
I have been searching everywhere possible online. I live in America. I have a downloaded copy of their marriage certificate from Millisle Presbyterian, and I have searched Ros Davies site, especially the surnames of County Down and have been able to verify a few things. Hugh McKibbin is listed as John’s father on the marriage certificate, but I have not been able to find much on him, and know nothing of John’s mother. All of their children came to America, but one. That was Hugh, listed in the census of 1901. He moved to Liverpool and stayed until he died. I really appreciate this group and any help or suggestions. Thank you.
Does 'everywhere' mean you've searched GRONI's database (the one place you will get post 1921 N.I. certificates)? there were several possible deaths for them in Belfast district which is certainly something to consider, especially if they died in hospital.