Author Topic: 1921 boarding schools in Margate?  (Read 896 times)

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
1921 boarding schools in Margate?
« on: Tuesday 18 January 22 16:35 GMT (UK) »
I've been looking at the 1921 census for an 8 year old and found him listed with about 40 other boys around 4-10, all boarders, in Margate.

Helpfully, the address on the form says Margate.  Sigh.

I looked at the plan of divisions and could see Margate College on the list, but found that to be a different census return altogether.

Does anyone know what other schools there might be with boarders?  The return was odd because there were only children so where were the adults?  I was on limited time on a library computer but I suppose there is a way to explore census returns for premises on either side.  Once it becomes browsable we'll be able to look at adjoining returns but I couldn't do that today.  I could only scroll between associated images for my search.

Most boys had both parents alive, and most were born in Middlesex, with the odd outlier - Sweden, India. 

A quick Google reveals a Margate school for the deaf and perhaps this was it?

Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1921 boarding schools in Margate?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 January 22 16:55 GMT (UK) »
The return came under the parish of Margate St John the Baptist (part of) and enumeration district 11 (is that eleven or Roman numerals for 2?) if that helps.  Also the return was signed by Agnes Mary Hayden on page 3.  However the boys were listed alphabetically on the three pages, and entry no. 40 on the last page had a surname beginning with S.  I wonder if page 4 is missing from this search result as it seems likely that there would have been some surnames between S and Z for boarders.

Next time I'll search for Agnes in the census to see what pops up.  That might answer my question.

And look in the newspaper archives - at least I can do that locally rather than visiting a 1921 census library!
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Online AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 January 22 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the BNA there are lots of 1921 ads for Cliftonville College in Margate. A photo is here:

https://margatelocalhistory.co.uk/Pictures/Newly%20Added%20Pictures.html (search for cliftonville college on the page).

The photo says the address was Arthur Road which is less than a mile from St. John the Baptist churchyard.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 January 22 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Alan for that.  Wonder if a place for youngish children would be called a college though?  It is odd that there are no staff on the census return, whatever the establishment was.  It's a bit like Lord of the Flies isn't it.  Just children.
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 January 22 19:15 GMT (UK) »
There is a list of Margate private schools (19th & early 20th century)

http://www.shelwin.com/e/thanet_research/pt_schools.pdf
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 January 22 19:32 GMT (UK) »
I would suggest locating Agnes Hayden in the 1911 census. This gives a street address in Margate. I suspect courtesy of Google that Godwin College is worthy of investigation.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 January 22 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks bearcat.  Phew, a long list. I think I need to search for Agnes Mary Hayden in newspapers I think, as the censuses etc below don't help much (but thanks Millmoor). I'll look up Godwin College next.

In 1901 she is a visitor to a household in West Malling, Kent, with no occupation listed, 25 years old, born West Hanningfield, Essex.

In 1911, there's an Agnes May (could be Mary or May looking at the handwriting) Hayden, single, 35 (so born abt 1876) housekeeper in Margate, in 21 Harold (?) Rd, in St John the Baptist parish, born in West Hanningfield, Essex, with Willis Duncan 12 yr old born London, 'son' crossed out and rewritten on a new line with what looks like 'change' or 'charge'.  Perhaps a carer, or the child was adopted or fostered?

1939 reg has an Agnes M Hayden in Bournemouth Rd, Folkestone born 1876.  Incapacitated.

1942 died, a spinster, 66, at Hill House, Lyminge. Possible address Dover Rd, Folkestone. Buried Hawkinge, Folkestone.
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 January 22 19:54 GMT (UK) »
The next step is Kelly's etc I think.
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline Kigi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 18 January 22 21:17 GMT (UK) »
http://www.childrenshomes.org.uk/LondonAsylumDeaf/

The school for the deaf seems an option I would think. It would explain the Middlesex births.