Author Topic: 1921 boarding schools in Margate?  (Read 893 times)

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1921 boarding schools in Margate?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 18 January 22 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.  It's so frustrating that there is no address, name of institution or list of adults that might give a clue.

Looking at the link to the 1881 census for this school, they were all 12+, whereas this list of boys was of younger children.

It could remain a mystery until I can view the census records as a whole, which I suppose is a year or so away.
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 18 January 22 21:36 GMT (UK) »
In the 1911 census I would suggest, if you are using Ancestry, that you scroll back to image 352 from the image for Agnes Hayden ( which is image 368). Also worth saying that if you downloaded the 1921 census for her from FindMyPast it ought to tell you her place of employment.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 18 January 22 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that tip re 1911.

When I'm back at a place where I can view the 1921 census again free, I will certainly be looking for her!
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 21 January 22 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Solved!  Someone kindly looked up Agnes Mary Hayden when at the Kew Archives today, and yes, she was matron and housekeeper at 'Margate College Preparatory', 19 Hawley Square, Margate.  She was head of the household consisting of teachers and domestic staff, but again, the address was not shown for the premises.  Very odd.

Thanks for all your suggestions, Rootschatters.
Crook, Bannister, Warren