Author Topic: Borstal Records  (Read 683 times)

Offline daisy3

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Borstal Records
« on: Tuesday 18 January 22 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi hoping someone would be able to advise me on how i would go about tracking down the records of a person who was sent to borstal in 1920, court Salford borough. My uncle was born in Liverpool 1904 and was taken off the streets as a child and put into an industrial school along with his two brothers, he remained there until he was sixteen, on discharge he totally disappeared from the family never to be heard of again. I have now found a record of him in Salford being charged with no visible means of support and stealing a coconut, for that he was given three years detention. I would love to find out what happened to this poor man, any help is much appreciated.

Regards Daisy

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Borstal Records
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 January 22 08:29 GMT (UK) »
we will need his name - did he marry ?
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline jo1962

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 January 22 09:19 GMT (UK) »
You could try the british newspaper archives for articles. A great aunt of mine was in an industrial school. I never knew this until the 1911 census came out. I contacted the archivist and they were very helpful sending me copies of all the information that was held on her.

Offline daisy3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 January 22 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for your reply's, My uncle was George Frost, born Liverpool 20th April 1904, parents William and Catherine Frost nee Scott. i have a record of admission to the industrial school dated 30th may 1912, address given at the time was 11 Horwick st Liverpool. The record i found on Ancestry was UK calendar of prisoners, (1868 to 1929) it verified the date of entry to the industrial school, so i can definitely conclude it is the same person. thank you for your interest, its much appreciated.
Regards Daisy.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 May 22 00:21 BST (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 May 22 12:27 BST (UK) »
He has possibly be found on other thread in 1921- more detail there.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk