Author Topic: Most unusual or unpleasant occupation  (Read 1750 times)

Offline phil57

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Most unusual or unpleasant occupation
« Reply #18 on: Friday 21 January 22 20:49 GMT (UK) »
No! I see your logic. I meant about sewage discharge into a river…

;D ;D ;D ;)
Stokes - London and Essex
Hodges - Somerset
Murden - Notts
Humphries/Humphreys from Montgomeryshire

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 21 January 22 20:54 GMT (UK) »
No, sewage where it ought not to be.

Other than during the war ,has any PM had so much to deal with,?
Brexit, Covid,now this Russian threat .
Also there are reasons why big British warships seem to patrol the Channel where Russian ships have been seen.
China is a threat and N.Korea ,The Taliban and terrorists on our streets .
Trump was a great worry and what he might do,global warming  and  climate change.
Bo Jo has done some blustering and made some blunders , in history others have too but these days it is all on Social  Media, days gone by things were not generally known ,not until the posthumous biographies in many cases.
Wonder what people would have thought about Winston Churchill in those days 80 years ago, when he was our P.M.,had they known about his
mistress ?,we only knew of his wife,Clementine.
The press is dreadful, I have no desire to know about celebrities so famous I have no idea at all who they might be!

There has been a power struggle right through,but never have I known any government so generous as this ,with grants ,loans etc.
Many politicians are sleazey, think of Profumo.
The one Martin Bell ousted in Cheshire , John Major and his bit on the side, Edwina Curry etc etc etc.
Viktoria.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 21 January 22 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Not something I’ve ever seen in a census but “breeder of maggots from putrescible animal matter” featured in Government legislation until fairly recently.

Yuck!

Maggots for angling has always been big in the UK.   What revolts me is the anglers put a maggot into their mouth to warm it up so it wriggles when they cast it into the river.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 21 January 22 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Ooooooh!
You would think they would get botulism or something given what they feed on.
Aaaw poor little things , having a huge ( to them) hook pushed through them.
Viktoria.

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 21 January 22 21:54 GMT (UK) »
"put a maggot into their mouth"

People eat raw, living palm grubs.  I couldn't bring myself to do so but the roasted ones are sort of like a cross between bacon and peanut butter.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 21 January 22 21:58 GMT (UK) »
The story I heard about the “midnight mechanics” (night soil operatives) concerned the one on the back of the wagon who dropped his jacket in the efluent tank and was trying to fish it out again. “You won’t be for wearing that again, will you?” his mate asked. “No” came the reply. “But my dinner’s in the pocket”!

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 21 January 22 22:14 GMT (UK) »
The story I heard about the “midnight mechanics” (night soil operatives) concerned the one on the back of the wagon who dropped his jacket in the efluent tank and was trying to fish it out again. “You won’t be for wearing that again, will you?” his mate asked. “No” came the reply. “But my dinner’s in the pocket”!

tee hee;         ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 21 January 22 22:29 GMT (UK) »
James Herriott’s Vet books, I think Mallham  was the fellmonger .
Hands arms ,covered in dried blood etc from the dead animals he dealt
with,skinning etc .
He always seemed to be eating sandwiches when the Vet called ,filthy hands,his children playing with animal body parts etc and eating  their  food with hands unwashed too, never seemed to do them any harm.
I know they were books but based on fact.
Only think of WW1 ,old battlefields and trenches re occupied when men were in retreat etc ,then forward again over the same ground.
My brother in law did some of his National Service in Korea, they  reoccupied   old trenches and came across old corpses , some British some N.Korean.
No hand washing facilities there.

What is the Mexican drink with some insect in it?
Viktoria.

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 22 January 22 11:29 GMT (UK) »
James Herriott’s Vet books, I think Mallham  was the fellmonger .
Hands arms ,covered in dried blood etc from the dead animals he dealt
with,skinning etc .
He always seemed to be eating sandwiches when the Vet called ,filthy hands,his children playing with animal body parts etc and eating  their  food with hands unwashed too, never seemed to do them any harm.
I know they were books but based on fact.
Only think of WW1 ,old battlefields and trenches re occupied when men were in retreat etc ,then forward again over the same ground.
My brother in law did some of his National Service in Korea, they  reoccupied   old trenches and came across old corpses , some British some N.Korean.
No hand washing facilities there.

What is the Mexican drink with some insect in it?
Viktoria.
Yes, well we cannot forget those occupations associated with slaughter (both animal and human :().

The drink is Mezcal - apparently although it is said to be a worm, it is often a caterpillar

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mezcal_worm