Author Topic: Where do you keep your tree?  (Read 1927 times)

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where do you keep your tree?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 22 January 22 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Nothing on line  - I have multiple back ups on USB drives (sticks) of my data which is kept in my PC..patrexjax
ARCHIBALD/ARCHBALD: Tweedmouth, NBL; CHARLTON: Ponteland, NBL;
ERRINGTON: West Denton, NBL; 
FAIRLESS: Longbenton, NBL;
HARDING: Hollinside, Co. Durham;
KING: Newcastle-on-Tyne & Berwickshire;
LOCKEY: Ryton, Whickham, Co. Durham & YKS; NICHOLSON: Ponteland, Newburn, NBL; PAXTON: Norham, NBL;
PAULIN: Berwickshire; REAY, Ponteland, NBL;
SCOTT: Norham, NBL; SELBY: Tweedmouth, NBL;
SLIGH: Berwickshire; SPOOR: Whickham & Ryton;
WIDDRINGTON: NBL

Offline Palladium

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 23 January 22 09:55 GMT (UK) »
I use My Heritage software in my computer, not allowing it to synchronise. I can create a gedcom to update my on-line trees at MH and Anc. I don't publish photos on-line.
WESTMORLAND/LANCASHIRE
Heap, Armer, McNamara, Nelson
ESSEX/NORTHAMPTONSHIRE
Humphrey, Potton, Snow

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 23 January 22 10:51 GMT (UK) »
  Family Historian on my computer - nothing on line.

Likewise with regular back ups to separate (portable) hard drive and multiple USBs. Having worked in finance all my life, it became part of daily life to back up all that day's work, this instilled in me the importance to do regular (and multiple) back ups.

Offline Marmaduke 123

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 23 January 22 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Rootsmagic on my computer. Basic tree (no photos or notes) on Ancestry, mainly for DNA purposes. Backup on separate harddrive and in the cloud.
Halifax/Huddersfield area West Yorkshire
Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire, Berkshire and nearby areas.
Bilcliffe one name study all areas.

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 23 January 22 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Rootsmagic on my computer. Basic tree (no photos or notes) on Ancestry, mainly for DNA purposes. Backup on separate harddrive and in the cloud.

Whoops, I just realized that I misspoke in my earlier comment! I now have a very basic tree, going up to my great-grandparents (edit: or great-great grandparents, I can't remember), on Ancestry for DNA purposes only. It's a bare-bones tree intended only as a pointer for distant cousins who might be encouraged to contact me.

As for my Reunion database on my desktop Mac, my husband set it up so my entire computer automatically backs up to a separate hard drive. He recently gave me a MacBook Air and set it up so I have the database on both machines and it is synced through a secure server that he uses for work (he's a computer programmer). The way he explained it to me, I'm not accessing the database via the server, I'm only syncing it that way.

England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline ladybird

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Oh golly
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 23 January 22 20:03 GMT (UK) »
My main tree on Tribalpages, plus Ancestry and Myheritage. A small basic one on Familysearch
Main names:
Scotland (Travellers) - Townsend/Townsley, Conway, Stewart
Lanark and Stirling - Jeffrey.
Northumberland/ Durham - Newton, Nixon, Sharp, Greaves, Naters
Warwickshire and London - Garfield.
Ireland, Co. Kerry - Marah/Meara/Mara, McClure, Howard, Melvin
Lincs - Smith, Vinter

other offshoots - Berry, Steven, Craig, Atkins, Fuller, , Stewart, Conway, Heather,

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 24 January 22 09:33 GMT (UK) »

Whoops, I just realized that I misspoke in my earlier comment! I now have a very basic tree, going up to my great-grandparents (edit: or great-great grandparents, I can't remember), on Ancestry for DNA purposes only. It's a bare-bones tree intended only as a pointer for distant cousins who might be encouraged to contact me.

As for my Reunion database on my desktop Mac, my husband set it up so my entire computer automatically backs up to a separate hard drive. He recently gave me a MacBook Air and set it up so I have the database on both machines and it is synced through a secure server that he uses for work (he's a computer programmer). The way he explained it to me, I'm not accessing the database via the server, I'm only syncing it that way.

Unless you want to lose all your work ask your husband to remove the automatic syncing it is one of the easiest ways to lose all your work.
Syncing makes separate databases contain the information made on the database last used. In other words if you are using one computer and corrupt or delete the database on that computer that corruption or deletion will automatically be repeated of the synced database rendering both unusable.
It is best to have three separate databases, the first being the work database (the one used to make changes on) a separate database on a different hard drive which is updated after each work session and a third remote backup on a hard drive only plugged in when you want to update your remote backup (the updating of this would depend on how much work you have done on your work database).
This system ensures you will always have at least one working database which contains at least the bulk of your research.

Never rely on syncing to provide a backup that is the best way to lose everything when a failure occurs.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 24 January 22 14:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Guy, I will speak to my husband about it this evening.
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline martin hooper

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 25 January 22 11:42 GMT (UK) »

Sorry you may find that both data sets have been trashed. If the set that has been trashed syncs itself to the older "good" set it will trash the good data set.

You do not want backups to talk to each other under any circumstances.
Cheers
Guy
[/quote]

I keep my FTM tree on a cloud service, and sync to ancestry. Safest way I know.

Martin