Author Topic: I need help with these COOK children  (Read 708 times)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: I need help with these COOK children
« Reply #9 on: Monday 24 January 22 03:02 GMT (UK) »

"I know at least William was alive in 1920 - he is mentioned in a newspaper account of his mother's death."

Can you expand on this please?. What is name and date of newspaper, how is William mentioned?

Your family?

1918 COOK  John    marr. ANDERSON Elizabeth       @ Blythswood        644/10 2071
1920 COOK John     marr. CANNON Catherine          @ Blythswood        644/10 3392

Did Catherine CANNON bring children to this 1920 marriage?

What do you know about the family of Elizabeth ANDERSON.....parents?....siblings?

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 24 January 22 07:06 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth Cook died when she fell or jumped from the kitchen window of her house after threatening to commit suicide and saying 'Goodnight" to her seven year old son, Willie.  An account appeared in several newspapers - the one from the Glasgow Herald 22 March 1920 is attached.

Yes the marriages you found are the correct ones. John remarried 9 months after Elizabeth's death. I don't know much about Catherine Cannon - I don't know if she had any previous children. Her marriage certificate says she was a spinster, age 20, father Patrick Cannon, mother Annie Stewart. The marriage took place at 31 Hope St Glasgow. His marriage to Elizabeth Anderson took place at 21 Hope St Glasgow, probably the same address and John's home?

I've found 6 children for John and Catherine so far born from 1923 to 1940 and all with Gardiner (the name of John's mother was Catherine Gardiner) as their middle name.

According to her marriage certificate Elizabeth Anderson was a spinster, age 31, father James Anderson, mother Elizabeth Cunningham
England:
Durham: COULSON, FENWICK, HUNTER, LOWES, NAYLOR, ROBSON
Norfolk: DEWING, OUGHTON, TAYLOR,
Lancashire: TWEDDLE
Ireland: KEATING, KIRBY, Limerick; NELSON, Donegal
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow
Switzerland: VOSTI, DELUBINI
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 24 January 22 09:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you - glad it was useful :)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 26 January 22 00:35 GMT (UK) »
I finally found William Cook in the Glasgow Electoral Rolls, living with his father John Cook and stepmother, Catherine Cannon, at 27 Cramond St Glasgow. He's there in 1937 and 1938 but doesn't appear in later rolls so I'm guessing he probably enlisted. Not sure how to confirm this - can anyone put me on the right track?
England:
Durham: COULSON, FENWICK, HUNTER, LOWES, NAYLOR, ROBSON
Norfolk: DEWING, OUGHTON, TAYLOR,
Lancashire: TWEDDLE
Ireland: KEATING, KIRBY, Limerick; NELSON, Donegal
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow
Switzerland: VOSTI, DELUBINI
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk