Author Topic: Lying-In hospital, Shardlow Area  (Read 411 times)

Offline brave eric

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lying-In hospital, Shardlow Area
« on: Thursday 27 January 22 21:20 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to locate a small lying in hospital or house used in 1889 by a wealthy family requiring a discreet service for an illegitimate birth to a servant
The locations suggested are Borrowash, Draycott, and Kegworth (then part of Shardlow district)
The father and his wife and family were located in Nottingham and well known and respected there.
There is no trace of the birth being registered in the name of the mother or father.
The child appears on the census with the mother's surname in 1891,1901,1911,and 1921 with the above birth locations, Borrowash being used twice.
The mother abandoned the child in 1893, left the country and had no more contact.
The baptism was arranged by the maternal grandparents in 1893 and they brought up the child in Nottingham.The baptism shows the mother's name but no father's name of course.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Lying-In hospital, Shardlow Area
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 January 22 22:18 GMT (UK) »
How do you know where the child was born if there is no birth cert?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 January 22 23:35 GMT (UK) »
How do you know that the child was born in a lying in hospital?  I would have thought that many/most babies would have been born at home.

Are you hoping to find records of births at this lying in hospital?

You mention “the father”  - how do you know who the father was if it is not recorded on a birth or baptismal certificate?

If you would like to give some names and other details, maybe some more help can be given or possible birth registration found.

Offline brave eric

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 January 22 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your response, I assume the name of the father from discussions with relatives i had 45 years ago. The mother was employed by the father and that is recorded.  i was told by three relatives about the lying-in hospital being used to protect the father's reputation. I have checked many times over the years and there is no registration using either the father's or mothers name.This is a long shot to see if anyone is aware of such a place in these locations.The mother received a substantial settlement and left the country .
Thank you again for your interest

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 January 22 00:19 GMT (UK) »
Ah I see. You are trying to prove a family story. There is often some truth in them, but sometimes not so much.  :)

Have you considered asking the oldest direct ancestor to take a DNA test? I would suggest also asking a descendant of the mother only to take a test to make it easier to determine which matches are on the mother’s side and which are on the father’s side.

If you can’t see a birth registered in the area you expect, have you tried looking further afield? Girls could have been shipped across the country to give birth. Places of birth on censuses are not always correct or accurate - some people didn’t know where they were born and gave the name of the place they lived when young.

A lot of people find rootschat when googling family names they are researching, so if you supply their names you might find some time in the future that you may be contacted by a distant relative who may be able to help you.

Added: regarding the mother who left the country …. do you know where she went? Have you tried to trace her descendants in case they know more about the family story?

Offline brave eric

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 January 22 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again for your input.
I am considering DNA testing and have requested advice on your DNA board. However this will not confirm where the birth took place and the evidence for the identity of the father is so strong and convincing.
Regarding registration, I have been searching for 40 years, originally trawling through the hefty volumes at St Catherine’s and am convinced that this was not recorded in any location for any of the appropriate surnames.
If, as I now suspect, the birth was not registered, I will be extremely lucky if records from where the birth took place have survived but this my last shot at resolving  what has been tormenting me for so long.
Regarding your final point, after abandoning the baby (my grandfather) the mother went to Australia where her sister was living and remained there until her death with no more issue. I have had contact with the descendants of that sister for the last 30 years. 
Over the years I have been amazed at what can turn up if you persist.
Thanks

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 January 22 03:30 GMT (UK) »
Yes, push on with the DNA test I suggest. I recommend you ask one of the descendants of the mother if they will also take a test. In theory, any of the matches you don’t have in common with them, should come from the father’s side of the family. No, it won’t necessarily lead you to find the birth, but  may lead to other finds.

Good luck.