Author Topic: Christopher Mills dob 23 December 1867, Waltham Cross disappear 1910 Blackpool  (Read 816 times)

Offline Rebecca Mills

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Please let me know if I should post this to a different Board.

He's by great grandfather and I'm trying to find out when/where he died or if he had a second family somewhere. This is all the information I have at the moment.

Born 23 December 1867, Waltham Cross, Hertfordshire. Married 26 December 1891 at Epsom, Surrey to Alice Keeling. She was born 28 September 1861 and died 7 May 1911. Christopher Mills was a drapery commercial traveller and disappeared untraced in 1910 in Blackpool, I believe.

Their children were:
Percy Stuart born 14 Feb 1893 Sevenoaks, died 28 Feb 1952
Harold Christopher born 7 Jan 1895 Sevenoaks, died 14 Jan 1974
Gladys Elizabeth born 30 Mar 1897, died 5 May 1946
Gordon Corrie born 2 Feb 1900 Swaffham, Norfolk, died 19 Dec 1967
Reginald Leslie born 13 Dec 1902 Swaffham
Maurice Ernest born 21 May 1905 Swaffham died 17 June? 1921

I think there may have been 2 or 3 other children, I think I have misplaced a sheet somewhere, but I'm sure that's enough to identify the family.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Christopher Mills dob 23 December 1867, Waltham Cross disappear 1910 Blackpool
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 January 22 10:17 GMT (UK) »
There is a tree on Ancestry for the person you refer to, it notes his death as Oct 1910 but no record on GRO for a Christopher. There are 5 pages of Male Mills deaths in 1910 none in Blackpool.

MILLS, CHRISTOPHER       mmn BROWN 
GRO Reference: Registered 1868  first quarter in EDMONTON  Volume 03A  Page 230

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Christopher Mills dob 23 December 1867, Waltham Cross disappear 1910 Blackpool
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 January 22 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Alice and the children were in Oxford in 1911, I suspect the information you have about him leaving the home before this census is correct.  What happened to the children after Alice's death.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rebecca Mills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 January 22 12:19 GMT (UK) »
There is a tree on Ancestry for the person you refer to, it notes his death as Oct 1910 but no record on GRO for a Christopher. There are 5 pages of Male Mills deaths in 1910 none in Blackpool.

MILLS, CHRISTOPHER       mmn BROWN 
GRO Reference: Registered 1868  first quarter in EDMONTON  Volume 03A  Page 230

Colin

Hi Colin, can you point me in the direction of the tree on Ancestry? I have a family tree on Ancestry and would love to know if the one you mention is created by someone else. I'm also talking about Blackpool, UK just for information.

Offline Rebecca Mills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 January 22 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Alice and the children were in Oxford in 1911, I suspect the information you have about him leaving the home before this census is correct.  What happened to the children after Alice's death.

Hi Rosie. Percy Stuart became head of the household. He had a place at University to do a Theology degree and ultimately become an ordained minister, but with the disappearance of his father and the early death of his mother he had to get a job to support all his brothers and sister. Because he was the sole breadwinner, this exempted him from being called up in the First World War which his brothers never forgave him for! He became engaged to married in October 1917. but he felt that he couldn't marry until all his siblings were settled in jobs. He took his role as head of household and breadwinner very seriously and some of his brothers were not very forgiving of his lack of parenting skills. Ultimately, he married, they had 2 natural children and one adopted child, and the rest is history.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 January 22 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Percy sounds like a good, decent man, Rebecca  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rebecca Mills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 28 January 22 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Percy sounds like a good, decent man, Rebecca  :)

Monica

Sadly I never knew him, but I think he was both good and decent. His brothers not so as far as I can tell. I'm looking for information about his father or potentially a second family his father may have had.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 28 January 22 21:15 GMT (UK) »
I've found one other child with the correct mother's maiden name

Alice Mills        

Birth registration
Q1 1896
SEVENOAKS  Volume 02A  Page 658

Death registration
Age under 1 year
Q1  1896
SEVENOAKS  Volume: 2a page: 397

Offline Rebecca Mills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 28 January 22 21:20 GMT (UK) »
I've found one other child with the correct mother's maiden name

Alice Mills        

Birth registration
Q1 1896
SEVENOAKS  Volume 02A  Page 658

Death registration
Age under 1 year
Q1  1896
SEVENOAKS  Volume: 2a page: 397

Yes, thank you, I have her on my list, but without any details, so that's helpful thanks.