Author Topic: Cumberland House School Grand Drive Raynes Park  (Read 442 times)

Offline Sonia Gardener

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Cumberland House School Grand Drive Raynes Park
« on: Saturday 05 February 22 11:48 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find information regarding the above school which I believe my father may have attended up to 1928.  It was a private Catholic School. As Google has not revealed anything I thought I would try a local family history society but struggling to establish which one would cover Raynes Park.
I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction for any resources or if anyone has any local knowledge of the school.
Many thanks

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Cumberland House School Grand Drive Raynes Park
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 February 22 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Was it a boarding school or day school?  How old was your father?

Where did you get the name & address from?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Sonia Gardener

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 February 22 12:21 GMT (UK) »
I had a request on London & Middlesex forum as my father lived in Tooting (born 1913) & claimed on his service papers to have been at Cumberland House Grammar school but didn't say where only that he had left aged 15.  I had the reply back from the forum that from a newspaper Cumberland House Raynes Park was mentioned as a private RC school. I later found it mentioned in a google book as being in Grand Drive.

Offline Tonykelly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 February 22 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Both West Surrey FHS and East Surrey FHS cover Raynes Park but I would contact the Catholic Family History Society. http://catholicfhs.online/

Raynes Park is in the London Borough of Merton.  Its local studies library may be able topoint you in the right direction:
https://libraries.merton.gov.uk/client/en_GB/merton/?rm=HERITAGE+AND+L0%7C%7C%7C1%7C%7C%7C0%7C%7C%7Ctrue

Offline Sonia Gardener

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 February 22 12:01 GMT (UK) »
thank you Tony I'll follow those links up

Online Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 February 22 19:44 GMT (UK) »
You've probably seen it already, but there's a book written by John Jochimsen (available online).
He attended Cumberland House School circa 1935, which he describes as a "small private establishment in Grand Drive". He also describes the classroom: "had once been the drawing room of the large house" and how lunch was in another building, at the bottom of formerly a long garden.

All in all, it doesn't sound like a "formal" school building in the traditional sense. Hence the lack of online information, except for two 1935 newspaper mentions (Headmaster: JS Wardale). Probably the newspaper mentions which Shaun found.

UPDATE: Address of the school could be 42 Grand Drive, West Wimbledon, SW20. This is the address on John Stephenson Wardale's WW1 Medal Index Card, dated 1922. (Raynes Park is also known as West Wimbledon).

Offline Sonia Gardener

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 07 February 22 08:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Hillhurst for your wonderful reply. It always amazes me how information comes to light which I've spent days looking for.  Your kindness is much appreciated.
Now with the details you've given me I've got the best excuse to avoid housework today!!!
stay safe
Sonia