Author Topic: Summary week ending 13th February  (Read 4278 times)

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Summary week ending 13th February
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 09 February 22 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Gibel sorry to hear of your news and good to see you on here. We feel like we’re friends together in the good times and the more challenging ones.

TY thanks for your wishes.
North East of England

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 10 February 22 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Morning All... it feels like ages since I was on here... I have 9 pages of unread posts, so clearly it HAS been ages!!
Glad to know that Candleflame's little chap is recovered, and very sorry to note that Gibel is having such a rough time.
Hope Viktoria is ok??

I don't think I have anything exciting to share, but I can report that we have snowdrops and crocus in flower down here on the south coast, so Spring is slowly advancing and will reach those of you in the frozen North eventually.
Hang in there all.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 10 February 22 10:59 GMT (UK) »
Today's rant!
I decided a few months back that I would hang up my pencils and set squares and put away the drawing board and retire gracefully, after 24 years  as a Building Surveyor.
And for my last little project a simple exercise in replacing two rooflights into existing bedrooms, with dormer windows. Easy!
Well the first response from Planning was that they required layout plans of the first floor, existing and proposed.Why? when there are no alterations to those rooms - just replacing the windows.
So I replied accordingly.   Automated response - passed to Officer dealing with this application, standard waiting time for reply 15 days.
I need to get on with this and complete the application so I rang this morning and went through the usual call centre responses and then put through to the main switchboard.
Planning Registration Team please.  Of course sir, just hold the line while I put you through.  And then for 16 minutes I was regaled at regular intervals with the recorded message that Plannig Enquiries were busy and would I like to send an e-mail!!
No, No, No I have already sent one!
At 16 minutes I had a different message  "The other person has hung up!"
I suppose if I complain I will get the reply that we are working on a reduced staff, officers working from home etc etc.
I am glad to have made my decision as I could no longer face this form of Customer Service by Telephone Torture
aaaaaghh!!
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 10 February 22 12:41 GMT (UK) »
So frustrating Jeff.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 10 February 22 16:09 GMT (UK) »
We had something a few years back that was similar radstockjeff, ( so they couldn't blame Covid). We decided to add to / modify something which we'd got permission for planning, and built, a few years before. So we drew up plans, elevations, according to BS for modifications, and applied. "Planning" seemed to have no record of original building work, but we knew 'cos we'd not only drawn it all out but also built it, and had it appropriately inspected at the time. We'd kept copies .... but they hadn't.
"They" wouldn't accept our file of drawings, correspondence etc, but insisted on us exposing part of the foundations, to ensure that they complied with the original specifications .... even though they'd done all that a mere four or five years before!
We completely understand your rant.
And, just to add to our delight, this morning our central heating boiler has packed up. Oh joy, of delight.
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 10 February 22 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Lovely catkins MH, good to see you back.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 12 February 22 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi all.  Am doing some spring cleaning today of old paperwork, so getting ready to use the shredder and will be keeping in mind other folks issues with their shredder a little while ago.  Very windy here and cold too , so indoor tasks only today.

TY is your boiler back up and running ?
North East of England

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 12 February 22 15:13 GMT (UK) »
We bought a  new shredder this  week, it  must  have done overtime the amount of times  I  have used it, got a  good deal with replacement,  think it is the first time since lockdown  my  husband has spent any money apart  from living expenses,  had  to  blow the cobwebs away !,     feel  more expenses coming on, upgrade to Windows  10 for starters  on the main computer  or  a new  computer.

Sunny day  but very  chilly, even feels  chilly indoors  which is unusual

Having a  lazy day today

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 12 February 22 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Wonderful boiler engineer just left (15.30) after starting at 9.00 this morning. All stripped down, replaced and working. Bless him.
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)