Author Topic: Update Probate Search  (Read 291 times)

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Update Probate Search
« on: Saturday 12 February 22 12:31 GMT (UK) »
I have used the government Probate Seach website extensively in the past, but noticed that it has been unavailable over the past few weeks for an "upgrade". I now find:
  • I have to log in every time I want to do a search. This was not necessary before.
  • After logging in, I am taken to my details page, rather than a search page.
  • The font size used on the search page is huge.
  • Scaling down the page in my browser scales images differently to text.
  • Search does not seem to work as before. The search asks for a death date, but the date of probate is actually needed to find an entry.
  • Search results seem to be in a random order, requiring each page to be checked to find the required entry.
  • Having found the required page in the calendar, it is necessary to view the image to get to the order screen, a totally uneccessary step in my opinion as the image is already displayed on the screen!
  • Navigation is awkward and not intuitive. Onscreen controls are clunky and inconsistent - a mixture of text and button based.
  • The site crashes when I try to pay for a copy of a will, although payment is taken.
I have reported this via the feedback option on the site, but I haven'y heard back yet. Has anyone else had similar problems, reported them, and had a response? The site now looks like it has been constructed by someone who has absolutely no experince or training in website design or in how to design a simple and effective user interface.

I'm using Win 10, and Firefox as my browser. I have ads and pop-ups blocked, and I block all but strictly necessary cookies.
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Update Probate Search
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 February 22 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk