Author Topic: land registry  (Read 1041 times)

Offline Lyndar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
land registry
« on: Friday 25 February 22 20:21 GMT (UK) »
My ancestors have severally occupied the same house for 150 years. How can I find out its origins?
I have the historical 'bones of by family, but creating people out of them is more difficult.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: land registry
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 February 22 20:28 GMT (UK) »
It all depends where the property is, what district, in what county, in what country?

If you provide those details someone will know.

I have the historical 'bones of by family, but creating people out of them is more difficult.

Not sure what you mean, can you elaborate?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 February 22 21:46 GMT (UK) »
I don't understand what you mean.  If the same family etc occupied the house for 150yrs how does finding the origins of the house help to create people?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 February 22 10:07 GMT (UK) »
I assume by entitling your post “Land Registry” you may well be in the UK? If so, if your family has owned the property for 150 years, the Land Registry is unlikely to have any records about the property. Proprty registration is only necessary when properties change hands/are sold.

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 February 22 13:16 GMT (UK) »
My ancestors have severally occupied the same house for 150 years. How can I find out its origins?

The paper deeds would record the transfer of ownership of the property from one person to another (assuming such transfers actually took place and were recorded) but the Land Registry won't have any information unless the property has been registered.

Has the property been mortgaged or transferred in recent times?  If not, it may not be registered.

Also note that many 'paper deeds' for properties that have been registered have subsequently been destroyed - once any relevant (for registration purposes) information has been digitised.

It's something to note for anyone who has paper deeds held by a bank or building society* (or in some cases a solicitor*) - unless you've made a specific request for the paper deeds to be retained (and returned to you in due course) there is a risk of the paper copies being destroyed without your knowledge - if there is sentimental or historical interest in the documents this is something to look into.

(*the above shouldn't apply to cases where the service is safe document storage - it relates to where the deeds are held for mortgage purposes, or in some cases 'deeds storage')

Offline Lyndar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 February 22 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your replies. The house in question is called Stepin and is in Llanddewi Velfrey in Pembrokeshire. It has always been a tied house,owned and built by one of the landowners in the area.
I am interested in when the original house( now just walls) was built and why, in 1904 ,it was demolished and rebuilt round the corner. Also why it has an English name, when most of the houses there have Welsh names, and my relatives were Welsh speakers.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 February 22 20:15 GMT (UK) »
It might be a good idea to ask a moderator to move this thread to Pembrokeshire board as this seems a case of local knowledge needed.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 February 22 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if this helps any...

In 1841 it's named Parc Stepin

The Tithe Maps have it as Arable, 10 - 1 - 28 ARP (Acres - Roods - Poles)

Land Owners - Lewis John Lennox Griffiths Poyer

Occupiers - James Harries

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Lyndar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 01 March 22 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all, but it is the wrong house. Stepin is definitely occupied by Griffith Phillip and his wife and daughter Mary, the future Wife of Dan Griffiths. Thanks for the effort. L