Author Topic: john shaw a cossal giant  (Read 13743 times)

Offline rachie33

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
john shaw a cossal giant
« on: Saturday 03 September 05 16:41 BST (UK) »
i have been lead to believe that i may be related to john shaw who was known as a cossal giant.Does anyone out there have any information on his family at all .I have got a George shaw born around 1778-1781 and i believe he could related to him perhaps brother or cousin?please if anyone holds info on john could they please share it with me as i would like to confirm any link there may or may not be .sorry i have no more info hope its enough to go on
many thanks p.s corporal john shaw died in the battle of waterloo
rachie ;D

Offline maidmarianoops

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • somewhere over the rainbow
    • View Profile
Re: john shaw a cossal giant
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 September 05 10:35 BST (UK) »
[8] Corporal John SHAW, of Cossal, Notts., who killed 9-10 Frenchmen single-handed at the Battle of Waterloo, and died of his wounds that night.

sylvia

john shaw cossal giant
more info on google with above heading
===============================

http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/beyond/factsheets/makhist/makhist8_prog13c.shtml

info found on above site
Could you please tell me about two boxers, John Shaw and Richard Waplington, whose names appear on a memorial in the churchyard at Cossall near Nottingham? I believe they were both killed whilst serving with the Life Guards at Waterloo in 1815."

Brief summary
John Shaw and Richard Waplington - known as the Cossall Giants - were very big and would fight in the boxing booths at the Nottingham Goose Fair. John Shaw was an especially promising boxer who supposedly defeated the great heavyweight Tom Molyneaux.

It was at the Goose Fair on 15 October 1807 that both men took the King's shilling and went off to war. John Shaw was 18 years old when he enlisted in the Life Guards. Both men later fought at Waterloo. Shaw is said to have killed several French soldiers before being severely wounded, but bled to death overnight. He was buried at La Haye Sainte. Richard Waplington was last seen trying to grab hold of a French Eagle surrounded by French mounted soldiers in armour.

Near the lychgate in the churchyard at Cossall there is an obelisk, the 'Waterloo Memorial'. It was erected to the memory of John Shaw and Richard Waplington of the Life Guards and Thomas Wheatley of the Light Dragoon Guards who also fought at Waterloo but survived to die an old man.

notts/derbys clark
      "        "      stenson
        "       "    nicholson
       "     "        jarvis
                         castledine
    rhodes

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 September 05 20:04 BST (UK) »
Hi

Here is more info on Cossall church including reference to John Shaw.

http://www.trowellchurch.freeserve.co.uk/cossall.htm

If you go on the link below, under search put in Cossall for village name there is a photo of the memorial.

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/

Do you live in Nottm. If not please send me a PM if you want more info.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andyn

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 October 05 18:33 BST (UK) »
Thought you might be interested in another account of Shaw's adventures I've recently added to my Nottinghamshire History website:

http://www.nottshistory.org.uk/articles/cossall/cossall2.htm

It was originally published in Edwin Trueman and R Westland, History of Ilkeston (1899).

Andy

Offline weezy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 October 05 14:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Rachie

Just seen your message. My husband is supposed to be related to this family. John Shaw was cousin to Richard Waplington. my husband's mums maiden name is waplington. i have traced the family tree back to jonathon Waplington born 1809 in Ilkeston but haven't found a definite link with the cossall lot yet. When my husband was younger his granddad took them all on a trip to cossall church to look at the memorial. His granddad knew he was related to him somehow.

louise xx

Offline wilkipet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 October 05 13:20 GMT (UK) »
These two knuckle fighters and brave soldiers were colleagues of Samuel Godley at the Battle of Waterloo. Doug Caunt wrote an article out Sam the Warrior which includes references to John Shaw. Whitwell LHS has the story on its website.
Gerald
Wilkinson-farnham, fell-notts, Bolton-notts,Holmes-Derby's, yeomans-Derby's, shaw-Derby's. Davies-Glam, Tilling-Glos, Gibby, Harries-Pembrokeshire,Godley-Whitwell etc. coalminiing migration

Offline Just another Joe

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 April 11 23:21 BST (UK) »
I also have been told that I am related to John Shaw via my grandmother, Hilda Shaw. Hilda had two spinster sisters Margorie and Elizabeth late of Harrogate, Yorkshire.
She left Nottingham to marry my Grandad, George Ellis in Halifax West Yorks.
Hows the research going?

Offline Mick Robinson

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 January 14 21:07 GMT (UK) »
I have my family tree going back to John Deane of Hutton, John Shaws Grandfather.
My late father traced all of this back in the 80's by visiting various parishes and church records.
No internet for him !

John Shaw was my great x 4 uncle, it would seem from my fathers records he had 8 sisters,Jenny, Sally, Martha, Anne, Mary, Bessy, Rachel and Hannah and 2 brothers Ralph and William.

He was the secretary of the Waterloo society/committee from, I think early 80's to mid 90's, he also visited the Waterloo site a couple of times and was involved in archaeological digs there.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 January 14 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Baptism Wollaton
6-10-1779 George son of George and Elizabeth Shaw
This couple had 7 children baptised at Wollaton , but no John.

There is a baptism at Cossall for
Richard Waplington 26-11-1787 son of Richard and Millicent
No baptism for John Shaw there.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley