Author Topic: Sarah Helen Lamb - Born at Sea  (Read 797 times)

Offline ChrissieL

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ben and John Hardman meeting up in Cairo
    • View Profile
Sarah Helen Lamb - Born at Sea
« on: Thursday 03 March 22 17:07 GMT (UK) »
My 2xGGrandmother was Elizabeth Lamb, born in 1844 in Sunderland Co, Durham to John Lamb and his wife Sarah Hume.  Elizabeth had an older sister, Sarah Helen (Ellen) Lamb born in 1835.  On the 1851 census, Sarah Lamb’s birthplace was listed as ‘Born at Sea’.  Ancestry has two baptism records for her, both dated 13 April 1835.  The first in Bowness on Solway, Cumberland and the second in Kelso, Roxburghshire, Scotland.  I can’t find an original copy of the Cumberland baptism but I purchased a copy of the Kelso one and it said this:

Sarah Helen Lamb, daughter of John Lamb, carter and Sarah Hume his wife was born on sea between Liverpool and Bowness on 30 March 1835 and baptised by the Rev John Brown, curate of Bowness Cumberland on 13 April following.

I wondered if anyone had any idea why they could be travelling by sea from Liverpool to Bowness on Solway and why it would appear in the Kelso Parish registers.  All the children were born in the Newcastle/ Sunderland area and the family were in those areas on the census returns. 

Thanks Chris
Staffordshire: Lawton Probyn Horrobin
Durham: Bamlett Hardman Winship Robinson
Suffolk: Leggett

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Helen Lamb - Born at Sea
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 March 22 21:12 GMT (UK) »
What I find odd is that 13 April is given as the date for both baptisms (Kelso and Bowness on Solway).
In theory, shouldn't the Kelso baptism have a later date?

According to the 1841 census, John Lamb was born in Scotland. Could that be the reason for Sarah's (second) baptism in Kelso? Was John from Kelso? Were the Lamb's visiting his family at the time?

Offline ChrissieL

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 March 22 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Yes according to the 1841 census John Lamb was born in Scotland but it doesn't say where. He married Sarah Hume in Wooler, Northumberland so I suspect it was near the border with Northumberland.
I don't think there was actually a baptism in Kelso. It just mentions the Bowness baptism in the Kelso records. On the same page there is a baptism of a son to Mark Hermison and an Isabel Lamb. I'm sure they must be family but I can't find a connection yet.  If they were visiting family in Kelso, I don't know why they would travel to Liverpool then by sea to Bowness. It would be easier just to travel north through Northumberland. Bit of a mystery.

Chris

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 March 22 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Not sure how far you have looked in to John Lamb's links to Scotland, Chris.

There is one couple who caught my eye who were having children around the right time in Kelso, including a John and an Isabel. At least 10 children that I can see for them in the OPRs on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

To parents James Lamb and Margaret Ainslie in Kelso:

John chr. 26/03/1797
Isabel chr. 15/09/1811

Looking at the names of the children for John and wife Sarah, these names which were used for their early born children would fit well (thinking here of Scottish naming pattern).

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 March 22 18:55 GMT (UK) »
There is a death showing in 1860 in Kelso for an Isabella Lamb/Hermiston ref 793/ 11. Age not showing on the index but will show on the image. Mother's maiden name of Ainslie.

Monica

Offline ChrissieL

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 March 22 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello Monica. Thank you for your reply. I have been looking at the James Lamb and Margaret Ainslie marriage in 1796.  Out of their children there is a John born 1797 and an Isabel born 1811.  She is the same Isabel who was the wife of Mark Hermison in the Kelso baptism record. I thought I had cracked it BUT that John Lamb seems to have married Anne Stobie and not Sarah Hume. I feel sure the families are connected though somehow!

Chris

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 March 22 19:21 GMT (UK) »
Is this marriage to Ann Stobie from the family tree on Ancestry? This tree is quoting a death for John, husband of Ann Stobie, in 1876 in Kelso. Can't see it on SP  :-\

It also quotes possible brother James as heading off to the Newcastle area to live from 1861. The problem with this is that James, son of James Lamb and Margaret Ainslie was born in 1815. The James in Newcastle from at least 1861 was born 1810-12.

Would be helpful if there were original sources on there to check  ::) ;)

I would still have my eye on this family for your John...until proof is found otherwise.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 March 22 19:51 GMT (UK) »
If you are able to make headway with this family in Kelso, I think James and Margaret Snr were still alive in 1841 www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/5a156089f4040b9d6e75ef72/james-lamb-1841-roxburghshire-kelso-1771-?locale=en

Margaret Snr widowed by 1851 www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/59046f88e9379091b1396695/margret-lamb-1851-roxburghshire-kelso-1771-?locale=en Helps to have granddaughter Margaret Hermiston there, linking this entry up to daughter Isabella.

Monica

Offline ChrissieL

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 March 22 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Monica. The marriage of John Lamb to Anne Stobie/Stobo is from the Millenium File which gives his parents as James Lamb and Margaret Ainslie and her parents as Thomas Stobo and Isabel Bean/Bane.  Anne may have died around 1850 as there is a John Lamb married to Margaret on the 1851 census (i need the check if this is the same John)..... So this isn't 'my' John although I'm sure there is some family connection.  I saw that Margaret Hermiston was at the house of her grandmother Margaret so  that all links up with Isabel Lambs family.  I will try and find out more this weekend

Chris