Author Topic: Can anyone help me find my grandma Gertrude Stephen/Ross?  (Read 3387 times)

Offline Hollyhocker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone help me find my grandma Gertrude Stephen/Ross?
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 09 March 22 16:43 GMT (UK) »
And finally here is some more info on John Fowler Ross who Gertrude Married...

Get the popcorn out for this one! 😂

Well around 11 years ago I had a little breakthrough and managed to find the son of John Fowler Ross. I managed to find him through a relative of Gertrude's brother Sydney whose descendant somehow found him on ancestry. It turns out John Fowler Ross joined the army in 1926 and was away serving with the Royal Scots in Egypt, India China during the time my dad was conceived and born. More reason for me to think that he was illegitimate.

I have his some of his service books passed on to me. He came out of the Army in 1933 and signed up again in 1939. No idea where he was during the time in-between but when he signed up in 1939 he was living at the King's Arms Hotel in Wood Street in Swindon. Then I found a newspaper article of 1939 which mentions court dispute between a John Fowler Ross and a Mary Ivy Ross over a child. John had no made child payments and Mary was stopping John from seeing the child saying he was unfit. I wish I knew how to post pictures on here, else I would post the article! I will endeavour to at a future date! 😂

Now to give you a bit of context, John Fowler Ross’s son remembers his dad saying he was “sorely wronged” and saying regular prayers for Patricia. Low and behold I researched the child of this pair and she’s called Patricia. Born 1935. Her mum (Mary Ivy Ross Nee Hill) then remarried a Mr Bigg in 1942. It seems Patricia took on his name and dropped the “Ross”. She went on to marry George W Phillips in 1953. She died in 2001. Haven’t managed to find any children from their marriage yet. I have ordered the marriage certificate of John Ross and Mary Ivy Hill to see if this is indeed him. We'll see!

After the war John Fowler Ross turns up in Dukinfield, Cheshire and meets Sarah Battersby (Nee Pickersgill). They had two children together.  The pair then split up when J was very young. J remembers his dad as a nasty man. Unfortunately John's mum died when he was only very young and he had to go and live with his dad which was a very miserable time for him. John Fowler Ross went on to marry a woman called Nellie Twigg but was only married to her a few months before they slplit acrimoniously! J remembers him whispering to her in the kitchen saying that he might be committing bigamy if he married her. At first we both thought this would be in reference to his marriage with Gertrude but it could indeed be his marriage to Mary. Will have to find out on that one!

So not complicated AT ALL!! 😂😂😂   Have you had enough yet!! 😂😂

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 09 March 22 18:25 GMT (UK) »

I have ordered the marriage certificate of John Ross and Mary Ivy Hill to see if this is indeed him. We'll see!

Please come back and let us know the outcome

So your John Fowler Ross

Married 1925 Scotland Stephen

Married 1934 Wiltshire  Hill

Married ?
Battersby/Ross no marriage entry on FreeBMD
(Pickersgill married Battersby 1933 Ashton and looks as if she died age 40 as Battersby 1953 Ashton)

Married 1957 Ashton Lancashire Twigg

Died 9 Sept 1989 buried Dukinfield Cemetery Lancashire
https://billiongraves.com/grave/John-Fowler-Ross/8670943

Find a grave gives their plot number A5 DUK, Grave 382

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hollyhocker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 09 March 22 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello Hollyhocker

Have been looking but not found a death for your Gertrude Ross nee Stephen

Can I ask do you know if Gertrude’s husband John Fowler Ross remarried? If so, when and where did he marry maybe obtaining this marriage certificate might be of help if it states he’s widowed  :-\

brought forward (reply 8 ) -  is this the same Gertrude?

I don’t know if this might relate a snippet from the newspaper

26 June 1946 - The Scotsman - Edinburgh

A notice in the paper to Sheriffs Court against  Mrs Gertrude Ross last known address
19 M’Donald Road , Edinburgh, current address unknown to sell an Alvis Motor car to recoup the garage dues that are unpaid…………….

Hmm, quite possibly, was this a relation of her husband?...

ROSS GORDON Tenant HOUSE 19 MCDONALD ROAD EDINBURGH 1940

Do you know if he is related to John?

Hi Ladyhawk. John Fowler Ross possibly married a women called Mary Ivy Hill in Swindon in 1934. I have ordered the certificate and just waiting for it to arrive. He met his partner Sarah Battersby (Nee Pickersgill) after the war in 1945 in Dukinfield,Cheshire. They never married but had a son John Ross in 1946 and a daughter Susan Ross in 1948. John Ross the son is still alive and we are in regular contact. He is 75 now and as keen as me to get to the bottom of this family mystery! Sarah and John Fowler Ross split up when John was young and JFR went on to marry a woman called Nellie Twigg. They split acrimoniously a few months later. John Fowler Ross died in Dukinfield Cheshire in 1989

Offline Hollyhocker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 09 March 22 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Spot on LadyHawk although I am not 100% he married Mary Ivy Hill. Waiting for confirmation on that when the certificate arrives!

Offline Hollyhocker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 09 March 22 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Stephen family grave. Heard back today that Isabella is not interred there although her name is on the stone. Also no sign of Gertrude.

Offline Hollyhocker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 09 March 22 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Here's the divorce newspaper article between Maggie Jane Brown and John Stephen, 1917

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 09 March 22 21:30 GMT (UK) »
I think this could be Gertrude...

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:68P4-6HZX

c/o 35 Union Street, Aberdeen

Age is hard to read could be either 37 or 31 (which would fit)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Hollyhocker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 09 March 22 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Yes Annie. I saw that record and also thought for a while it could be her. The thing is there is another Gertrude Stephen on the ship from Seaton Cottage, Bridge of Don. When I checked the electoral rolls for that address there were two Gertrude Stephens there so I was inclined to think that the pair on the boat were relatives and were the Bridge of Don Gertrudes. What are your thoughts? 35a, Union Street was the offices of Mackay Bros and co who were a shipping company so I thought it was just the address of the travel company. However, on my family tree on ancestry I noticed that one of John Stephen's cousins Anne Buyers (whose mum was Ann Falconer) married a Charles Begg at 35A, Union Street on 2nd Dec 1915. Not sure if that is a connection or a coincidence?!?! I'm just on the fence about this record. Would be interested to know what others think

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 09 March 22 22:09 GMT (UK) »
You have all your research i.e. you now need to track that Gertrude from when the ship landed?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"