Author Topic: Thompsons photo taken in what was Mandalay, Burma  (Read 676 times)

Offline ResearchJu

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thompsons photo taken in what was Mandalay, Burma
« on: Thursday 10 March 22 19:57 GMT (UK) »
I have found this photo which has 'Thompsons' written on the back in an old family album of Quelch/Thompson.  I have found another photo online of another soldier dated 1900 in the same studio with the same backdrop.  I'm interested to know if you think it is from around 1900 and if anyone knows what uniform it could be.  Many thanks in advance.

Offline ResearchJu

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Thompsons photo taken in what was Mandalay, Burma
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 March 22 19:58 GMT (UK) »
This is the back of the photo

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 March 22 15:41 GMT (UK) »
I would say it's most likely to be early Edwardian.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline ResearchJu

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 March 22 18:05 GMT (UK) »
I would say it's most likely to be early Edwardian.
Carol

Thank you Carol, I thought it was around 1900 so that fits. 

Offline Zefiro

• RootsChat Veteran
  • breeze from the west
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 March 22 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to intrude, but I find the position of the man with the child very unnatural. It seems like a cut out from another picture. Both he and the child seem to float, not being supported by the pieces of furniture that are present there. Can someone confirm the same thing that I'm seeing?

Offline ResearchJu

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 March 22 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to intrude, but I find the position of the man with the child very unnatural. It seems like a cut out from another picture. Both he and the child seem to float, not being supported by the pieces of furniture that are present there. Can someone confirm the same thing that I'm seeing?

I've just taken another look and agree it is a rather odd photo - seems to have been taken outside as you can see tufts of grass.  The chairs also don't look very sturdy so I'm surprised the soldier didn't tip the chair up!   The woman also looks completely expressionless and the 3 of them are not engaging in anyway.  Also I can't find any members of the Thompson family on my tree who served in Mandalay although their name is written on the back of the photo! 

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 March 22 10:21 GMT (UK) »
I think they could be strapped to posing stands and chairs.  These were used to keep the subjects perfectly still, to prevent blurring. This could account for the stiff unnatural poses.

Just a wild guess, but this looks to be a travelling photographer, hence the canvas backdrop and being taken outside, rather than inside a studio.

Not asked for but I gave it a quick clean.  Such a beautiful photo, hope you find out who they are.

Caz

Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 12 March 22 10:24 GMT (UK) »
An example.

Caz
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline ResearchJu

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 12 March 22 10:47 GMT (UK) »
I think they could be strapped to posing stands and chairs.  These were used to keep the subjects perfectly still, to prevent blurring. This could account for the stiff unnatural poses.

Just a wild guess, but this looks to be a travelling photographer, hence the canvas backdrop and being taken outside, rather than inside a studio.

Not asked for but I gave it a quick clean.  Such a beautiful photo, hope you find out who they are.

Caz

Hi Caz

Thank you very much for the explanation and for cleaning it - looks great.