Author Topic: Otley Goldsmith family  (Read 746 times)

Offline mikehrc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Otley Goldsmith family
« on: Sunday 13 March 22 21:30 GMT (UK) »
I have John Goldsmith   who records his place of birth as Otley, Suffolk in every Census from 1851 to 1901 From these records he was born in 1816 but I can find nothing likely on Ancestry.  I looked through the 1841 Census for Otley but by then there were no Goldsmiths recorded.  From 1851 -71 John was a Bootmaker in Sudbury before retiring to Cambridge where he died in 1905.

Could anyone please help with a baptism record for John ? There was a parish Church and a very well supported Baptist Chapel in Otley and given that he is buried in a Non-conformist Cemetery  there is a likelihood that he was baptised at the Chapel.

I would be most grateful for any help or advice on where I might look for this information,

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Otley Goldsmith family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 March 22 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootscaht.

Do you have his M/C to confirm his Fathers name and occupation?

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 March 22 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Is he also in Suffolk in 1841?

Thinking if his family moved there when he was small he may have assumed that was his birthplace  :-\

Are there any other Goldsmiths in Otley who may have been related or is it a common name there?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 March 22 11:02 GMT (UK) »
There's a John baptised in Coddenham (don't know if that is anywhere near Otley) 4 Feb 1816 with parents John & Mary.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 March 22 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello
In Otley there are a couple William Goldsmith born c 1801 and Jemimma born c 1803 baptising their daughter Eliza 24 Aug 1823
They are on the 1841 census but nothing latter.
Strangely their daughter Harriot is bapt at ST andrew the Great Cambridge 2.11.1828.William is a farrier. She is buried 7.3.1833 at St Mary the Less.

The marriage for John and Mary McIntosh is at the Downing St Chapel Cambridge June 1848.
It's Non -conformist so would confirm a possible independent chapel baptism for John.

If had to guess I'd go for William and Mary Goldsmith nee Bedwell who seem to be the parents of the goldsmiths in Cambridge and came over from Suffolk.Married Clopton 29.6.1797.
Son John at Elmsett 29.3.1813 ,son William at Clopton 22.6.1800  --- Maria 31.3.1799 Clopton Martha 12.6.1802 Grundisburgh  ,Elizabeth 21.7.1803 Grundisburgh,Anna 1.8.1813 Brandeston,George 4.6.1815 Brandeston ,Mary Ann Bedwell Goldsmith 6.4.1817 Brandeston

William senior bapt at Otley 7.5.1778 s of William and Ann Goldsmith.
The couple are on the 1841 census in Cambridge Victoria St of Indep means.

But you need that marriage.

Ciderdrinker

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 March 22 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Genuki has Coddenham as 5 miles from Otley.
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline mikehrc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 March 22 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all this  really useful 

I'm waiting on the GRO to come up with the marriage certificate which will hopefully clarify things  but asked about this just in case someone had local knowledge.

Thanks Ciderdrinker I missed the William Goldsmith at Otley in the 1841 Census so will look at that again but he is too young to be father of my JG - interesting the Cambridge connection so I'll follow that up as there might well be some link.

I have not yet found JG anywhere in the 1841 Census but will persevere with the search.  That he opened his Bootmaker business in Sudbury, Suffolk in 1843 is the closest I've  got to pinning him down around that time sofar.

There are at least a couple of John Goldsmiths in the Otley area of Suffolk  and they have , as far as I can see, been quite mixed up in Ancestry family trees  which confuses the picture somewhat but isn't unusual. 

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 March 22 13:42 GMT (UK) »
July 1863 John Goldsmith's marriage was announced in 3 separate newspapers,  it states he was of Sudbury but no more details of either of  the parents except that Mr Mckintosh was of this town.  Cambridge.
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 14 March 22 13:44 GMT (UK) »
July 1863 John Goldsmith's marriage was announced in 3 separate newspapers,  it states he was of Sudbury but no more details of either of  the parents except that Mr Mckintosh was of this town.  Cambridge.

Sorry June 1863.
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)