Author Topic: Probate Registry site's response to my feedback  (Read 5237 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Probate Registry site's response to my feedback
« Reply #63 on: Thursday 19 May 22 02:10 BST (UK) »
Can I suggest you try the following search which may help you better understand the problems:

John Fowler Ross died 1989 Manchester - I am checking if he left a will.  I have no other information

I input surname Ross and christian name John plus year of death

Search tells me 176 pages have been found.  However - first page is BAIN & it then proceeds with other surnames starting with B - and onwards.  I asked for ROSS!! 

Can you explain how BAIN has become ROSS??  [/i]

My goodness Carole, that's some distance from your request & will be interesting to know the answer.

Why is it, when changes are made & they don't work, when people tell them 'the old system worked fine', they then tell us it didn't & give us a list of why it didn't work?

SP were the same, they took away search facilities which worked fine for us but now they're saying they didn't work  ???

There are many highly experienced Scottish researchers on RC who have never complained about the now defunct search options so who were the people who said there was a problem & how did they find this to be true when nobody on RC ever had a problem, in-fact the opposite as when the options were taken away, that's when the complaints began to roll in  ???

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Darnity

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Thursday 19 May 22 09:08 BST (UK) »
I have now had a reply to my query to them on 5th March about 03 not being a valid month:

Dear customer,

As far as we are aware this has now been fixed.

Please retry and get back to us.

Kind Regards,

HMCTS Wills Helpdesk

I haven't got round to trying this one again but will do so.

On a more positive note I ordered 3 wills late afternoon on 11/05/22 and they were ready for me to download when I logged in the next day! They were recent 21stC wills though so they probably hold them digitised.
Gypsy DRAPERs, children of Billy and Mary - Ellen,Darnity,Spencer,Billy Jnr,Kisby,Ellick
Descendants of Fred and Esther (Garrett) WHITLOCK - Wavendon, Woburn Sands area
Descendants of George and Barbara (Willis) SUTTON - Earls Barton and Nether Heyford
BISSELL - Hanslope, New Bradwell, Bucks and Aston, Birmingham area
Lavinia DRAPER died 1840 Cranfield
Gypsies in the Bow Brickhill and Beds/Bucks border areas

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday 24 May 22 11:23 BST (UK) »
No nil finds but it returns too many searches totally outside the alphabetical request.  I have just sent this reply

Thank you for your reply

Can I suggest you try the following search which may help you better understand the problems:

John Fowler Ross died 1989 Manchester - I am checking if he left a will.  I have no other information

I input surname Ross and christian name John plus year of death

Search tells me 176 pages have been found.  However - first page is BAIN & it then proceeds with other surnames starting with B - and onwards.  I asked for ROSS!! 

Can you explain how BAIN has become ROSS?? 

Well, if I put in John Smith 1989, aside from the text list of wills/admons of various John Smiths, for the images, I get 274 pages starting at Abel :o ::)!!

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday 24 May 22 17:14 BST (UK) »
I am glad i am not the only one with issues with the new search. Its dire and I have told them so.  Lets see what happens
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Tuesday 24 May 22 18:22 BST (UK) »
Well, if I put in John Smith 1989, aside from the text list of wills/admons of various John Smiths, for the images, I get 274 pages starting at Abel :o ::)!!

I have a theory about what they're doing. I think they've OCR'd and indexed every name & word on the pages and simply match the searched first and last name values against the indexed words for a given page, even if the values are on different probate entries. Basically, the search is by page and not probate record.

If you look at the images for your search I think you'll find there's a least one instance of "John" and "Smith" somewhere on each page.

Although this makes for a terrible search it does mean we can use the first and last name search inputs for any value, not just names, including addresses. For example, search for "Barkisland" and "Krumlin" in 1989; there's one matching page and the search values are part of a person's address. So there's some upside to their ineptitude.
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline 4b2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Tuesday 18 July 23 15:56 BST (UK) »
I ordered several copies of wills and admons from the new site. Two with admons have come back with this reply.

Tank you for downloading a copy of the Grant of Letters of Administration from our records. We were unable to provide you with a copy of a will for the deceased. The reason for this is that the Grant that issued in this case is a Grant of Letters of Administration. This is a legal document issued by a Probate Registry when a person has died without making a valid will called intestate and is issued to an administrator of the estate. This is usually the lawful spouse if any, or nearest blood relative.

A quick search and reading on the site does not reveal the situation with admons.

Is it possible to order copies of them, when listed in the National Probate Index?

At my local archive they hold the will books for one probate court (1858-) but there are no admons included.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Tuesday 18 July 23 16:01 BST (UK) »
If the Probate Calendar says Administration then the person died intestate (did not leave a will). The Grant of Administration which the site has provided is the only document available.

Boo