Author Topic: Thomas Maidment > Tarrant Rushton, Dorset  (Read 433 times)

Offline 3lle00

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Maidment > Tarrant Rushton, Dorset
« on: Wednesday 16 March 22 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm currently looking at the Maidment side of my family again.

I have the records for David Maidment b.1747-1816 in Tarrant Rushton, Dorset. His father was Thomas Maidment and his mother was Elizabeth Moores.

Thomas Maidment died in 1807 Tarrant Rushton, however I cannot find any birth records for him, his wife Elizabeth was born in Tarrant Rushton 1722.

It seems many people on ancestry trees have him down as being born in Tarrant Rushton in 1722/23 with his parents being born and died in Mere, Wiltshire. Whilst I understand this is not impossible I find it difficult to understand that he was born and stayed there.

From looking at the Dorset OPC, findmypast, familysearch and ancestry I can only see that there was a Thomas Maidman having been born in 1722 in Witchampton, Dorset a 4-5miles walk. Now the only record I can see within a 10 miles radius is my Thomas Maidment marriages to Elizabeth Moores in 1742 Tarrant R, but don't want to jump the gun and presume this could be a possibility.

Note marriage image does not say OTP, but nor do any others on the page.

Any opinions/help appreciated  :)

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Maidment > Tarrant Rushton, Dorset
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 March 22 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Just a few jottings going through the records for Dorset

Thomas Maidment of Tarrant Rushton indicted for stealing  a sack and half of wheat 1757
Miltlia list for parish 1796 includes all men 18-145
Silas Maidment 5'7 labourer lost one finger
Elias 4'10 labourer short sighted

Dan?/ David  labourer 5'6.

There is also a removal order for John Miadment and his wife Elizabeth and their children from Tarrant Rushton in 1787.

But you may be interested in a Will for a James Maidment made 14.5.1761 at Tarrant Rushton and proven 1779

Eldest son John 5 shillings ,youngest Robert £5 ,William 5 shillings and feather bed and bolster
He leaves his personal  estate to his wife Sussannah and 1 shilling
The rest goes to his son Thomas Maidment.

Now I can see no christenings for any of the children in Tarrant Rushton  but it is in the same parish .
His burial was 19.10.1778.
It looks like Susanah was a second wife .They married at Tarrant Rushton 3.8.1756
James Maidment widower and Susannah Lovell widow wit Thomas Hunt and John Seymour.

His first wife Martha was buried 4.1.1755.
The only marriage I can see is over at Witchampton 9.6.1707 to a Martha Thomas.
There is a son Robbin at Tarrant Rushton bapt 15.2.1727 s of James and his wife.(Could possibly be the  Robert mentioned)
Also
John 3.5.1709 Witchampton
William April 1721 Witchampton s of James and Martha
Thomas 8.4.1723 Witchampton
 James bapt 14.2.1724 at Witchampton s of James and Martha.
Betty 2.6.1739 at Witchampton s of James.

So it looks could well be them from Witchampton and you are right.
The other couple having children in Tarrant Rushaton are John and Elizabeth and they would fit as Thomas's older brother and his wife.
Everything fits nicely.

Ciderdrinker

ps found this at Dorset  archives catolgue

Tarrant Rushton Manor court roll, 31 Jan 1760. Admission of James Maidment and sons Thomas and William to tenement and garden upon surrender of James, with licence to demise, 31 Jan 1760

Offline 3lle00

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Maidment > Tarrant Rushton, Dorset
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 March 22 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Oh, thank you! I'll be sure to have a look through this properly in the next day or so :)