Author Topic: Workhouse guardians  (Read 257 times)

Offline glenclare

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Workhouse guardians
« on: Monday 21 March 22 19:17 GMT (UK) »
In 1894 the sons of an inmate of Hartlepool workhouse were summoned by the guardians to explain why they should not be expected to contribute towards their fatherís upkeep. The inmate had gone into the workhouse in the hope of persuading two of the four sons that they should look after and fund him. One son had previously looked after him and another given financial support.
Despite searching, I have not managed to find out what powers the guardians had to demand payment, or what penalties they could apply if no contribution was made?

Any suggestions of where to search would be appreciated

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Workhouse guardians
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 March 22 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Have a look at www.workhouses.org.uk.

Loads of info on there.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 March 22 19:46 GMT (UK) »
  I had a very similar situation at about the same time in my husband's family. The case appears to have been taken to the magistrates court (The Bench).

Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 March 22 20:34 GMT (UK) »
There are many cases of this in the papers, and also many people that defaulted on the settled maintenance being sent off by the police courts to hard labour for a month or so.

I could be wrong here, but I *think* the "families paying maintenance" goes back to the 1601 Poor Relief Act.
The amounts varied for the costs, and I believe that it was somewhat based on the ability to pay.

Offline glenclare

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 March 22 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.

I did wonder if it was a criminal or civil matter if they didnít contribute?

I am trying to prove or disprove a theory.
One of the sons married as a bachelor, while still married, a few months after the summons. Then it is possible that he and his new wife moved a long way south and assumed new identities in January 1895 before returning by 1901.
It might throw light on whether it is them elsewhere or not, or if it is a series of coincidences, if I could find a reason for the very unexpected relocation lasting five years. All facts match except the surname used after the possible move.
I have been trying to work out whether he could have been escaping the guardians punishment, which posts suggest might be the case, or whether he was likely to be prosecuted for marrying while already married because his first wife was mentioned in newspaper coverage of the case?
With divorce not common then, I know couples married again while still married to others but were there many prosecutions for doing so?

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 March 22 22:56 GMT (UK) »
I also have a few ancestors who were elderly and their sons were summoned to pay for their upkeep. One man received outdoor relief in 1888 and 1889, and his sons were summoned to help support him before this man going into the workhouse in about 1890 and he died there in 1898 aged 81.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain